Room Furnishings and Measurements
All rooms contain a bed, an extra-long (80 inches) bed mattress, dresser, wardrobe, desk and chair for each resident. You’ll supply your own linens, laundry bag, mattress cover, wastebasket, study lamp and clothes hangers. The University does not have storage facilities for trunks and suitcases, but many students find they make great coffee tables and clothing storage in their rooms. All student rooms have tile flooring and the windows are covered by Venetian blinds. Average room carpet measurements are 10 feet by 12 feet. Lincoln Hall carpet measurements vary; call the Residence Life Office if you are assigned there. Standard windows measure 63 inches long by 94 inches wide; Lincoln window measurements are 63 inches long by 36 inches wide.
To avoid duplication, you’re encouraged to consult with your roommate before purchasing items to decorate your room, such as carpeting and curtains or deciding on what kinds of electronic equipment and appliances to bring, such as a TV, microwave or refrigerator.
Residence Hall Linens & Care Packages
Need help finding extra-long bedding to fit the mattresses in our halls? We can help.
For your convenience, Residence Life has partnered with Dormroom.com powered by Dormify to provide an easy and affordable way to purchase Twin XL bedding, dorm storage solutions, and everything else you'll need (and want) for your new home away from home. Please visit the website at rider.dormroom.com to get move-in day ready and create your dream dorm. Care package information can be found at rider.dormroom.com/carepackages.
National Student Services, Inc. NSSI Offer comprehensive personal property coverage to your college/university school students. Personal property insurance: The University does not cover student belongings in case of fire, water, theft or other loss. If your homeowner’s insurance does not cover your belongings, contact your insurance carrier to purchase property insurance.
What TO Bring/What NOT to Bring
*All rooms contain a bed, mattress, desk, chair, wardrobe or built-in closet and dresser for each occupant.
*Some items are limited to one per room -- collaborate with your roommate to determine who will bring what.
What TO Bring
- Microwave -- ONE per room, no larger than 0.7 cubic ft./700 wattage (all residence halls have microwaves in common areas)
- Small refrigerator -- ONE per room, 4.5 cubic ft. max
- Command strips/hooks
- Bed risers - risers with outlets are not permitted
- Bedding – Blanket, Pillows, Sheets, twin XL, Mattress pad
- Toiletries – Towels, Toiletries, Shower shoes/flip flops, Shower caddies, Hair dryer
- Kitchen/Food Supplies - Can opener, Keurig Coffee maker, Plates/dishes, Cups/mugs
- Room Décor - Carpet/area rug, Curtains, Bulletin board/whiteboard, Lamp, Trash container/bags, Storage containers
- School Supplies – Notebooks, Pens/pencils, Scissors, Stapler, Tape
- Emergency Supplies - First aid supplies, Flashlight/batteries
- Television & Cables: 25 ft. 75 Ohm cable TV wire
- Power strip with built in surge protector & Charging cords
- Cleaning supplies-- mop, broom, cleaning wipes
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket & detergent (no pods), Iron -- must have auto shut off
- Hand Sanitizer
What NOT to Bring
- Air conditioner of any kind -- if a student requires an air conditioner for a medical condition, please contact Services for Students with Disabilities
- Ceiling fans
- Alcohol/drug paraphernalia (including items for decorative purposes-- shot glasses, bottles, etc)
- Candles, Incense, Himalayan Salt Lamp, Wax scent melters & plug in air fresheners, String lights (plug-in and battery operated lights are BOTH prohibited due to fire code)
- Coins for laundry -- Rider laundry facilities are free
- Electric Heated Blankets, Space heaters
- Extension cords (plain brown & white extension cords are not permitted in the dorms. Please bring a power strip with a built in surge protector)
- Multi-outlet adapter (box that plugs directly into wall, gives multiple outlets in place of one or two)
- Lamps with multiple heads (Medusa lamps), Halogen lamps, lamps with bulbs over 75 watts
- Highly combustible or explosive materials are not permitted
- Hot plate, electric fry pan, heating coil, toaster ovens -- anything with an exposed heating surface
- Laundry detergent pods (liquid and powder detergent only)
- Pets (except fish in a 10 gallon or less tank)
- Weapons of any kind, including toy guns or water guns
- Weightlifting equipment -- all students have free access to the gym in the Student Recreation Center
- Live trees