Remote Access Guide for Rider Students
For requests beyond the following topics, contact the Rider OIT Help Desk directly:
- 6/17 Removed/revised Covid-related information
- 8/19 Updated Zoom FAQs and Quickstart Guide.
- 8/5 Apporto page created: Apporto Information for Rider Employees and Students
- 3/26 Added section: Libraries are providing online resources
As a Rider student I need to:
The following web-based video conferencing and online chat platforms are available for you to connect with your students and colleagues:
Rider Zoom Videoconferencing
- Online classes, webinars, lectures: Attend live web broadcasts worldwide and record to the cloud or computer. Zoom Pro provides meetings of unlimited time duration for up to 300 participants
- Office hours, study groups, meetings, collaboration: Share screens, give Powerpoint presentations or have real-time video conversations during office hours, study groups or collaboration
- Mobile Zoom: Use the Zoom app for iPhone, iPad, or Android for chat and video conference on the go
- Learn how to use it: Zoom QuickStart Guide (PDF), Zoom Help Center, search LinkedInLearning for Zoom
Google Hangouts Online chat
- Hangouts Chat: A messaging platform built for teams.
- Google Suite (accessible from anywhere) includes: Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive
- Apporto - Virtual Windows Desktop environment that allows you to log in to the same environment every time, regardless of the device you are using or your location. It also makes available software that is needed for a specific course.
Collaboration platforms empower you to work with peers from different locations, and since your work is stored in the cloud you can access it from anywhere with an internet connection.
- GSuite includes: Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive
For those students who have no internet access at home, or need access to a hotspot, a number of providers are offering reduced cost and/or open services. Please check the services currently being offered by your provider:
Rider has a limited set of laptops available for student use on a first-come, first-served basis for remote instruction only. To assure these limited resources are shared with the students with the greatest need, we ask that you only request a laptop if you have no other access to appropriate technology to complete your coursework.
Loaners will only be provided to students enrolled in summer classes and meeting certain criteria. To inquire about a loaner laptop, please submit a ticket to the Technology HelpDesk that includes a contact number.