- None at this time
What is Apporto?
Apporto is a virtual desktop environment. A virtual desktop is a technology that enables your computer and applications to follow you around from device to device in a secure and reliable way. Virtual desktops offer a similar end result of streaming a Windows desktop environment over the Internet to a variety of internet-connected devices.
This technology allows you to log in to the same environment every time, regardless of the device you are using or your location. It also makes available software that is needed for a specific course.
Once you log in to Apporto with your RIDER KEY, you will see the Windows desktop you have been assigned. From the desktop, you can open the software you need to work with.
*Please note: Google Drive should be used in conjunction with Apporto to store data. At the end of each semester, all accounts and data are cleared from the system. No data will be available on Apporto after the semester ends*
I need to know...:
Because the Apporto Cloud Desktop is actively used throughout the academic year, new software, add-ons and software upgrades are installed based on the schedule below to ensure there are no service interruptions during the semester:
- Between May 1st and August 1st for the Fall semester
- Between January 2nd and January 15th for the Spring semester
Throughout the Spring semester, a survey is sent to all faculty to collect instructional software needs for the following academic year. Apporto software requests for the Fall semester should be submitted via the survey.
Faculty requesting new software for Apporto should:
- Consult with Dr. Lauren Eder, OIT’s faculty liaison for Apporto, to discuss software needs and software currently available.
- Create a Help Desk ticket for the request and provide the following information:
- Faculty name
- Approval from your dean (approval can be attached to the Help Desk ticket).
- Software title and version requested
- Semester the software is needed
- Course in which the software will be used, including course ID(‘s) and section(s)
If the software you are requesting offers a “free” educational license, the vendor may require a Rider faculty member to obtain the license. In these cases, OIT will require your assistance.
- By April 1st for software to be ready for the Fall semester
- By November 1st for software to be ready for the Spring semester
Once your request is submitted, approved and installed in Apporto, the Help Desk will contact you to try out the software. The Help Desk is only able to verify that the software opens without error and strongly suggests that faculty run through a few lessons and assignments to make sure the software functions fit your needs.
** Please note, OIT does not automatically upgrade software unless the current version is no longer supported by the vendor.