OIT Connect - Remote Access Guide
Remote Access Guide for Rider Employees
For requests beyond the following topics, contact the Rider OIT Help Desk directly:
- Call us at (609) 219-3000
- Note: Due to our disbursed workforce, we cannot answer phone calls live. Please leave a message and we will call you back M-F 8:30am-5pm.
- Visit the Self Service Portal
- Email [email protected]
- OIT Virtual Office Hours M-F (4/6-4/10) 2-3pm: Use this link for the Zoom meeting or use this link to add it to your Google Calendar
- 4/06 Updated link for OIT Virtual Office Hours above
- 3/22 Adobe Creative Cloud is available to faculty and student free during the campus closure
Technology for working remotely
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) developments, faculty, staff, and students should prepare for disruption to classes and other campus operations. We recommend that the Rider community familiarize with the tools outlined below, which make it possible to continue teaching, learning, and performing many of our day-to-day operations remotely.
As a Rider employee, I need to...
- Connect remotely to my files, computer or other resources on the Rider network
- Meet virtually with video, voice, and chat
- Teach classes online
- Securely store my files to access them remotely
- Connect with one or more groups using online collaboration and productivity platforms
- Access my voicemail remotely and forward my phone calls
- Download software to my home computer
- Request technology for "work from home or offsite" use
- Get training and additional information about working from home
The following web-based video conferencing and online chat platforms are available for you to connect with your students and colleagues:
Rider Zoom Videoconferencing
- Online classes, webinars, lectures: Host live web broadcasts to students or colleagues worldwide and record to the cloud or computer. Zoom Pro provides meetings of unlimited time duration for up to 300 participants.
- Office hours, study groups, meetings, collaboration: Share screens, give Powerpoint presentations or have real-time video conversations for office hours, study groups or collaboration.
- Mobile Zoom: Use the Zoom app for iPhone, iPad, or Android for chat and video conference on the go.
- Phone conference line: A departmental conference line has been made generally available through your department head. You may also use the phone conference line — included with your Zoom account —so participants can join meetings by phone.
- FERPA/HIPAA: Rider Zoom is aligned with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), a federal law that protects the privacy of medical information.
- Learn how to use it: Zoom QuickStart Guide, Zoom Help Center, search LinkedInLearning for Zoom
Google Hangouts Online chat
- Hangouts Chat: A messaging platform built for teams.
Rider’s Teaching and Learning Center includes the Academic Continuity During Disruption guide, to prepare instructors for conducting classes remotely, as well as how to organize course materials and communicate with students in the event in-person learning is impacted.
- VPN (VPN Instructions) - Required for access to secure systems and shared drives
- Google Suite (accessible from anywhere) includes: Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive
- Apporto (rider.apporto.com) includes: MS Office, PHStat, Excel OM, STATA14, SQL, SAS, SPSS, Tableau 2019.1, R3.6.0, SAP, IDEA and VideoPad
- Xythos (xdrive.rider.edu)
- Requests for additional files should be communicated between your Dean or Division head and OIT
Many software programs you use at work can also be downloaded to your personal computer too:
- Software at reduced or no cost is available here
- Adobe Creative Cloud is available to faculty and student free during the campus closure.
Keep your files securely in the cloud so that you can access them from remote locations with an internet connection. We suggest Google Drive, which can be used with Google File Stream to effectively work on files remotely. If you are working with FERPA- or HIPAA-protected data, choose an option that aligns with these regulations.
Collaboration platforms empower you to work with peers from different locations, and since your work is stored in the cloud you can access it from anywhere with an internet connection.
- GSuite includes: Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive
- Voicemail can be checked remotely
- Call forwarding is currently prohibited for security reasons. Exceptions and additional options for call centers and other special uses can be coordinated between your department head and OIT
All technology requests to allow remote work must be sent to your dean or division head. That will be collected and discussed with OIT senior leadership to ensure efforts remain organized.
The following training is available as a resource to help you better work from home:
- Login is required, click here first to log in