Master of Arts in Special Education
The Master of Arts in Special Education is a fully online program designed to prepare certified teachers to teach students with special needs in a variety of settings.
Special Education teachers have expertise that makes them confident in their ability to work with students with special needs. They are leaders in meeting the challenges of diverse classrooms.
This 100% online program provides opportunities for students to understand the nature and causes of disabilities, become familiar with agencies and resources for persons with disabilities, and learn best practices and materials for teaching students with disabilities. This knowledgebase, combined with a variety of shared experiences, provides opportunities for teachers to develop their expertise and become confident in their ability to work with students with special needs and become leaders in meeting the challenges of diverse classrooms.
A Pathway to Three Professional Qualifications
Upon completion of the Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification, teachers need only three additional courses to complete an M.A. in Special Education. Upon completion of the M.A, teachers need only three additional courses to complete the Reading Specialist Certification.
Students who already possess a certification in Teachers of Students with Disabilities, can waive up to nine credits in the core classes with the option to:
- Earn Reading Specialist Certification
- Earn Autism Spectrum Disorder Rider Certificate
- Earn Life Coach Certification
- Complete strands of courses in Teacher Leadership, Gifted Learners or Organizational Leadership.
The Master of Arts in Special Education
Teachers who complete the Master of Arts in Special Education Program will:
- Identify IDEA classifications and evidence-based practice to support student needs
- Evaluate and conduct research in current issues and practice in special education
- Analyze and assess student needs and recommend appropriate instructional and behavioral strategies
- Implement Applied Behavior Analysis
- Support students with disabilities in transition to adult life
- Learn best practices and materials for teaching students with disabilities.
The M.A. in Special Education also positions graduates to complete a Reading Specialist Certification.
All courses are online and are three credits.
Students entering with an undergraduate degree in education and teacher certification will be required to take the following courses in each area listed. Special education courses in Group II (Core Courses) must be completed in order based on the prerequisites. Based upon a review of previous coursework by their advisor, students entering with an undergraduate degree in special education and certification, as a teacher of students with disabilities or teacher of the handicapped may be able to waive up to nine credits.
For more information, please contact:
- Doctor of Education (Administration and Leadership), New York University
- Advanced Certificate (Educational Supervision and Administration) Brooklyn College
- Master of Science (Educational Psychology and Statistics/Special Education) Albany University
- Bachelor of Arts, Albany University
- Nasim Dil Service Award, Council for Exceptional Children – Teacher Education Division – National recognition for outstanding service 2010