Frequently Asked Questions about International Admissions

Admissions / International Students / Frequently Asked Questions about International Admissions
This slideshow is not enabled

What's in this section:

Our Location

  1. Where is Rider located?
    Rider University is located in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, on the east coast of the United States. Rider is about 90 kilometers from New York City, one of the world's most dynamic and diverse metropolitan cities - and 65 kilometers from Philadelphia, one of America's most historically and culturally rich cities. Our central location makes it easy to visit other major cities in the United States, such as Boston and Washington, DC.
  2. How big is the Lawrenceville campus?
    Rider's campus has 41 buildings on 280 acres, including athletic fields, tennis courts, and an indoor swimming pool. There are a total of 11 residence halls and nine Greek houses for members of fraternities and sororities on campus.
  3. What is the climate like in New Jersey?
    The weather in central New Jersey is variable. Temperatures can drop to -12 to -15 degrees Celsius in the winter, and rise to 32 to 35 degrees Celsius in the summer.


  1. Are you on a semester or quarter system?
    Rider is on a semester system. The Fall semester runs from early September through mid-December. The Spring semester runs from late January to early May. Rider also offers two summer sessions.
  2. Will I have an academic advisor?
    All students are assigned an academic advisor within their field of study. Undecided majors will be assigned a faculty advisor by their college.
  3. What is the average class size at Rider?
    25-30 students. The student-to-faculty ratio is 10:1.
  4. Will I be taught by teaching assistants?
    No, all courses at Rider are taught by faculty members, ninety-seven percent of which have their doctorate degree or the terminal degree in their field.
  5. Does Rider offer an ESL program?
    Yes, Students who need to improve their English proficiency may do so through English Language Institute (ELI) here on campus. Please visit for more information.

Campus Life

  1. How many students attend Rider?
    Almost 4,000 undergraduate and nearly 1,000 graduate students from 39 states, 2 US territories, and 63 countries.
  2. How many students live on campus?
    Approximately 70% of Rider's students live on campus.
  3. What percentage of international students attend Rider, and where are they from?
    About 4% of Rider's student body is made up of international students. Our international students come from: Anguilla, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, India, Jamaica, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.
  4. Is there housing available?
    Housing at Rider's Lawrenceville campus is guaranteed for the first two years of undergraduate study, provided students deposit by the housing deadline. International undergraduate, graduate and ELI students are encouraged but not required to live on campus; exchange and visiting students are required to live on campus. For new undergraduate students, the housing and tuition deposits must be received by May 1. Returning juniors and seniors may apply for housing using the housing lottery.

    Residence buildings are safe, comfortable, well-equipped and convenient. No matter where you live on campus, you are always just a short walk away from your classrooms, the dining hall, the fitness center, the library, and all of the services and resources Rider provides.

    Visit our Rider's Housing and Dining Web site.
  5. Will I live with other international students?
    Students have the option of living with domestic or international students. Rider's International Learning Community in Gee Hall is home to approximately 50 students who have opted to live in a globally focused environment with both domestic and international students.
  6. Is Rider a safe place?
    Rider's campus is in a very attractive suburban community with extremely low crime rates. On campus, Rider places high priority on assuring student safety. It has around-the-clock security professionals to patrol University grounds and assist students in any way.
  7. Where will I eat?
    Most of Rider's on-campus students eat in Daly Dining Hall on the Lawrenceville campus. Food is also available on campus at Cranberry's Snack Bar, the Bronc Diner, Java City, Starbucks Cafe, and the C-Store.

    Some upperclassmen reside in on-campus apartments that contain a kitchen. Most residence halls have a lounge with a microwave. All students may have small refrigerators in their residence hall rooms.
  8. Will I have an international student advisor?
    Rider is committed to making international students feel at home. Our international advisor and international student services staff work closely together to make your transition to Rider - both academically and personally - a smooth and enjoyable one. Visit the Center for International Education web page for more information.
  9. Is there an International Student organization on campus? What other clubs and organizations are at Rider?
    Rider has an active International Students Club. This is a student-run organization consisting of Rider students, both international and domestic, who have an interest in interacting with students from other cultures and who choose to join the Club. Members organize social and cultural functions, sports, and other activities.

    Rider offers more than 100 clubs and organizations - ranging from student government, to religious and cultural organizations, to academic organizations, to social and interest organization. Visit the Student Life Web site.
  10. Is there a health center on campus?
    Rider University's Student Health Services supports the health care needs of all full-time residency and commuter students, with clinics on both campuses. A Women's Health Clinic is also available by appointment on campus.

Tuition and Financial Aid

  1. What is the annual tuition?
    View Rider's Tuition and Fees.
  2. Do you offer financial aid or scholarships to international students?
    Rider University offers merit scholarships to qualified freshman and transfer students.

    Need-based assistance is not available to international students. U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and qualified non-citizens (e.g. documented refugees and asylees) may apply for aid using the FAFSA form.
  3. Can I work on campus?
    On-campus jobs are available to students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa. Rider's Office of Career Services helps qualified international students find an internship or cooperative education position. These jobs may be paid or unpaid, depending upon the policy of the employer.

    Students should NOT plan to pay for their education with wages earned while working on-campus. Students may work no more than 20 hours per week during the semester.