Both on- and off-campus, you will find countless opportunities to participate in the six categories of engaged learning. You can also earn points by volunteering for community service projects.
Both Experiences and Service Hours earn points based upon the hours of time spent in the activity. You will earn points as follows:
- 1 point for every 20 - 49 hours completed
- 2 points for up to 99 hours completed
- 3 points for 100 or more hours completed
Experience and Service Hours submitted must be performed while you are an active, currently enrolled student in your first term or later. Hours served before your first term or while you do not have Active status are not eligible to earn points.
To Earn Points for a Co-Curricular Engaged Learning Experience
Refer to the list of approved co-curricular Engaged Learning Experiences below to plan for your experience points or to see what is available at Rider. To be awarded points for these experiences, you must submit an Engaged Learning Experience form in Bronc Nation.
Before you submit hours, please read the information below:
- Complete at least 20 hours, the minimum number of hours needed to earn one point, before you submit the form in BroncNation. Less than 20 hours will be denied.
- Experience hours may be accumulated over different semesters or academic years until you reach 20 hours or more.
- You will need to write a reflection paper in the experience form for each experience you submit. This is an opportunity for you to look inward to consider your thoughts, feelings and any observations you made during an experience. Several sample reflections written by Rider students are available for you to use as a guide when writing your own.
- See Student Information for instructions on how to submit an experience for review.
After you submit the experience form in BroncNation, a designated faculty or staff member will review it. Sometimes, following review, an experience submission can be denied and returned to you with suggestions on how to change or improve it. You have the opportunity to make edits and resubmit it for another review. If you feel your experience meets the requirements needed to earn points but it was denied you may appeal that decision with your academic dean.
By the end of each semester a report of all approved experience points earned is sent to the Registrar to be uploaded onto your Engaged Learning Transcript.
There are several pre-approved organizations listed below that you can work with, but you are not limited to only those on the list. Hours volunteered with any service organization must be recorded in BroncNation and be approved in order to earn points.
- Service Hours submitted must be performed while you are an active, currently enrolled student in your first term or later. Hours served before your first term or while you do not have Active status are not eligible to earn points.
- See Student Information for instructions on how to submit service hours.
- Community Service performed for several different organizations can be recorded in BroncNation and combined to reach 20+ hours.
- Volunteer service hours performed for several different organizations can be recorded in BroncNation and combined to reach 20+ hours.
- Record your hours in BroncNation as you serve them so you earn credit for all of the service you perform. Hours will be approved throughout each semester.
- You must perform at least 20 hours of service to be eligible to earn one point.
- Service hours can be accumulated over different semesters or academic years until you reach 20 hours.
About Reflection Sessions
Once your 20+ service hours are approved you will be contacted by the Office of Service and Civic Engagement to participate in a reflection session. This is an informal meeting of your peers where a leader will ask you to share insights on your experience.
- Your service hours may be submitted and approved in one or more semesters and the reflection session you attend could be in a different semester.
- You are not required to attend a session that takes place in the same semester that your hours were served, but until you attend one you will not earn the points.
- If you submitted 20 hours of service and attend a reflection session, you will not earn another service hour point or attend another reflection session until you reach a total of 50+ service hours, then 100+ service hours.
- As you continue to accumulate hours over the years, the maximum number of reflection sessions you must attend is three, one session for each point earned up to 3.
- There is no limit on the number of service hours you can submit. The organizations you serve will continue to be noted on your Engaged Learning transcript each semester.
TIP: To search for an experience in the list below, on your keyboard hold down the CTRL and F keys to open a search box. Type a word or words in the box to search on this webpage. For example, enter the word club and you will be directed to two entries on the page.
- Choir Director for a Place of Worship or a Community Group
- Coordinator of Student Recitals
- Editor of a Rider Paper or Online Publication (The Rider News, Venture, The Shadow)
- Music Computing Lab Monitor (WCC)
- Music Director for a Place of Worship or a Community Group
- Off-Campus Production - Performance
- On-Campus Production - Director or Assistant Director
- On-Campus Production - House Manager
- On-Campus Production - Lead Choreographer
- On-Campus Production - Performer
- On-Campus Production - Stage Manager or Assistant Stage Manager
- Organist for a Place of Worship
- Professional Auditions
- Radio or R.U.N. Show Host or Producer
- Rider Choir or Music Group Member or Director
- Student Accompanist (for WCC class or studio)
- Tapestry Media Learning and Teaching Opportunities
- Westminster College of the Arts Outreach
Other Experiences not listed above can be submitted for consideration by selecting this experience type (AMC:Other) in Bronc Nation
NOTE: The following community service activities involve an on-going commitment from participants totaling at least 20 hours of service. Submit your hours in BroncNation using the experience form name below.
If your volunteer organization is not listed below, or if you are volunteering at one or more organizations for less than 20 hours each, see To Earn Points for Community Service above.
- Bonner Community Scholar
- Community Service Event Coordinator
- Community Standards Board Member
- End Hunger Advocates
- Ensemble Tour: Domestic - not performed during fall or spring semesters
- Fraternity/Sorority New Member Education/Intake Process
- Friendly Visitor Program - (working with Meals on Wheels or another hunger-serving organization on or off campus)
- Front of House Staff - WCC Performances
- Host for WCC Auditions
- Host for WCC Choral Invitational Festival or Other Visiting Choirs
- Library Ambassador
- Medical Reserve Corps
- MSLI or MSLI-T Ambassador, Participant, or PALS (Multicultural Student Leadership Institute)
- Music in Prisons Volunteer
- New Student Engagement Experience
- Petey Greene Program
- Professional Association Committee Member
- Rider Votes!
- Service Learning Trip Coordinator or Participant
- Trenton Schools Music Program
- Unified Special Olympics Bowling Team
- University Committee Participation
- Womanspace Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Advocate Training
- Innovation to Market (I2M)
- Lab Assistant (including TV Studio Lab)
- McNair Summer Research Program
- Professional Conference Participation (ONLY Music Conferences: ACDA, NAfME, SMT, CMS, NATS, etc.)
- Public Musicology Special Events
- Regional/National Conference Presentations
- Research Volunteer
- Scholarly Competitions
- STEM Summer Science Institute and Seminar
- Student Co-Editor of Online Journal (Music or Research)
- TJBot Tech Club Workshop
- Other Experiences not listed above can be submitted for consideration by selecting this experience type (GRS:Other) in Bronc Nation
- Admissions Tour Guide (Summer)
- Aspiring Accounting Professional Program
- “Calling All Broncs” Phonathon Campaign
- Career Development and Success Professional Series
- CLAS Career Development Series
- Clinical Experience prior to Music Education Clinical Practice courses (ME 161, ME 262)
- Embedded Tutoring Micro-Internship 1 and 2
- Professional Co-op or Fieldwork That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit
- Teaching Experience or Internship That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit - Norm Brodsky College of Business
- Teaching Experience or Internship That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit - College of Education and Human Services
- Teaching Experience or Internship That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Teaching Experience or Internship That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit - School of Fine and Performing Arts
- Teaching Experience or Internship That Does NOT Receive Academic Credit - Westminster Choir College
- Steps to Career Success Program
- Other Experiences not listed above can be submitted for consideration by selecting this experience type (ICF:Other) in Bronc Nation
- Academic Success Center Content Tutor or Tutor Mentor
- Academic Success Center Supplemental Instruction Leader
- Academic Success Center Writing Consultant
- Admissions Ambassador - Bronc for a Day
- Admissions Tour Guides
- Admissions Open House Volunteer
- Admissions Admitted Student Day Volunteer
- Bierenbaum Women's Leadership Council Participant
- Club Sports Team Member (Dance Team, Ultimate Frisbee, Equestrian Team, e-Sports Team, Ice Hockey Team, Unified Sports Team) Team Executive Board Members may also complete the form called LM: Student Club or Organization Officers or Executive Board Members, for the hours they spent in that role.
- Collegiate Leadership Competition
- Community Assistant in Residence Hall
- Datafest Student Mentors
- Embedded Tutor (English Composition)
- EOP Summer Institute Peer Counselor
- Emerging Leaders Program
- Freshman Seminar Peer Leader
- GLASS Mentor
- Green Captain for Theatrical or Dance Production
- International Student Mentor
- Junior Seminar Group Participant (SSS)
- Lambda Pi Eta Mentor
- Leadership Enrichment and Development (LEAD) Camp Mentor or Participant
- Leadership in Student Chapters of Professional Societies
- Learning Community Mentor (i.e., Science Living and Learning)
- Milestone Scholars Mentor
- MSLI Peer Leader (Multicultural Student Leadership Institute)
- Music Tutor for Music Theory or Digital Music Composition Course
- NCAA Division 1 Student Athlete
- Note: Division 1 athletes will automatically earn 3 points when the Athletic Department submits the official NCAA roster to the Registrar each semester. Athletes should not submit this experience in BroncNation
- Officers in Student Chapters of Professional Societies
- Orientation Leader
- P2P Mentoring Program Mentee or Mentor
- Psychology Learning Community Mentor (PLC Mentor)
- Rider Cheerleading Team Member in a Leadership/Mentoring Role
- SAAC Officer (Student Affiliates of the American Chemistry Society)
- SAP ERP Extra Credit Project (available only to students enrolled in GSC 385 with Dr. Eder)
- Sophomore Round Table Participant (SSS)
- STEM Summer Science Institute Mentor
- Student Government Association (SGA) Officers
- Student Lab Facilitator for Biology
- Student Club or Organization Officers or Executive Board Members
- Study Abroad Ambassador or Mentor
- Teaching Assistant for Chemistry
- Well-being Ambassador in the Recreation Programs Department
- Westminster College of the Arts Summer Camp Counselor
- Women in Action Leadership Program
Other Experiences not listed above can be submitted for consideration by selecting this experience type (LM:other) in Bronc Nation
Study Abroad and Cultural Exploration (SACE)
- Choral Institute at Oxford: Conducting Intensive
- Special Topics in Business courses (CBA 366) that contain substantial study abroad or cultural content. The SACE attribute will be indicated in the ECR for courses that will earn engaged learning points.
- Ensemble Tour: International - not performed during fall or spring semesters
- Innovation Intensive at Oxford University
- International Student Experience at Rider University
- Kantorei Tour
- Oxford Festival
- Sanda Rider Student Intercultural Partner Program
- Sanda Student Worker Shadowing and Career Workshops for Sanda Students
- SFPA Trenton Arts Initiatives
Other Experiences not listed above can be submitted for consideration by selecting this experience type (SACE:Other) in Bronc Nation