Solo Vocal Artist
Solo Vocal Artist
NOTIFY ME when registration opens for 2019 Summer Programs
July 21 - August 3, 2019
Now in its 16th year, Westminster is pleased to offer this summer program for the high school solo vocalist.
An excellent opportunity for the dedicated young classical singer to explore the many facets of developing the singer's art. Students study voice in daily private lessons and participate in master classes taught by Westminster artist faculty members. Seminars and Master Classes in applying and auditioning for colleges of music, dealing with performance anxiety and memorization, musical style, musicianship, careers in music, recital preparation, performance protocol and language are also offered.
- Daily voice lessons with Westminster Voice Faculty
- Take part in staged scenes by Gibert & Sullivan, Mozart, and/or Humperdinck
- Perform in two final concerts – a voice recital and a scenes concert. View final concert dates and times.
"The experiences, knowledge, and energy shared by the entire Solo Vocal Artist faculty, were beyond positive and inspiring. Mr. Walker welcomed me with open arms and became a mentor for me, which I appreciated SO much. I came into the program with a strong musical theater background but lacked the classical knowledge. I left the program with a new confidence in my vocal and performance abilities as well as a huge appreciation for the classical style. The program truly challenges the individual to channel what makes a "solo vocal artist". We are all individuals and the program really embraces that." Josh Pins, most recently on a national tour with West Side Story, on ABC’s General Hospital, and main stage performer for the Disney Cruise Lines’ Disney “Magic”.
Voice faculty includes Elem Eley, Sean McCarther, Mark Moliterno, Kathy Price, Eric Rieger, Elizabeth Sutton, and Charles Walker - singers who have performed with major opera companies and orchestras across the United States and Europe, as well as on Broadway and in regional theater. Akiko Hosaki is conductor, pianist, and collaborative pianist.
Students will attend evening master classes in The Art of German Lieder Singing and College Auditions master class taught by Laura Brooks Rice. Students will attend a professional performance or dress rehearsal of a professional performance depending on availability and schedules.
The schedule will alternate between class days and staging days. A typical class day will consist of: Yoga taught by Mark Moliterno; Performance Techniques classes taught by Charles Walker; Alexander Technique classes taught by Diane Gaary; Introduction To Opera taught by Nancy Froysland Hoerl; Suzuki Movement by Sean McCarther; and Musicianship for Singers. A typical Staging Day will focus on staging of the assigned Gilbert & Sullivan repertoire. Both days will include vocal coaching with Akiko Hosaki and members of her coaching staff.
Students must audition to participate. Audition requirements listed below:
- New students need to submit a letter of recommendation, a personal statement (regarding their interest in this program and/or their passion for singing), a repertoire list, and video recording (DVD, YouTube link, etc.)
- Auditions on DVD should be labeled clearly with name and repertoire selections or via YouTube. If the audition is on YouTube, send the url address with the application. Set the privacy settings to “unlisted.” Do not make it public or private.
- Auditions should include two pieces. Repertoire should be age appropriate, MUST be performed from memory and should include: Italian songs and arias from 16th-18th centuries, German Lieder or American art songs.
- Returning students are asked to submit a recording with just one song indicating vocal growth from the previous year.
- Upon acceptance, all students will receive repertoire assignments for the program.
Enrollment is limited to 40 singers.
$1,895 (includes room and board) Tuition due upon acceptance into the program. For payment plan options please contact the Westminster Office of Continuing Education at 609-924-7416.
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student will receive a $100 discount per program
- Vocal Institute discount - Add High School Vocal Institute for only $1,395 (instead of $1,895
Westminster Office of Continuing Education