NEW THIS FALL!
A Curated Listening and Musical Exploration
Dr. Ruth Ochs, conductor/lecturer
2020 promised an abundance of Beethoven’s music on the concert stage, and a special opportunity to revisit the composer’s contributions to the symphonic repertory. While the absence of live, in-person concert hall experience is missed by all, the unexpected value and enrichment offered by shared, live listening and discussions has emerged in the COVID-19 wake.
Sessions will involve relevant historical and analytical discussion (by a trained musicologist and conductor), as well as shared listening of selected excerpts, some shorter and some longer, from the session’s topic repertory. Some slight discussion of musical form and very basic harmony will be included to highlight significant musical developments; background material can be provided. Time will be allotted for discussion and questions.
Since the time slot will not permit the shared listening of entire works, it is suggested that participants also plan to listen to the complete symphony outside of scheduled meetings. A variety of interpretations will be introduced with preference given to more recent Beethoven interpretations. Summaries will be provided for those who may miss a single session. Sessions will be held over zoom and decent headphones are recommended.
75-minute sessions exploring Beethoven’s Symphonic Music:
- Beethoven’s on the symphonic path: Symphonies 1 and 2
- The Heroic style emerges: Symphony No. 3
- Not to be counted out: Symphony No. 4 and a quick look at the Piano Concertos
- Symphonic Music would never be the same: Symphony No. 5
- Bucolic Vision: Symphony No. 6, “Pastoral”
- Dramatic Music: the overtures and incidental music
- New ways of handling symphonic resources: Symphonies No. 7 and 8
- Vision for Earthly and Heavenly Unity: Symphony No. 9
Recommended supplementary text: Lewis Lockwood, Beethoven’s Symphonies: An Artistic Vision
- Schedule: Fridays, 4:00 pm - 5:15pm
- Dates: 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13
- Limit: 12 total (minimum number to run program: 8)
- Fee: $150