Rider University has hosted American Legion Jersey Boys State (ALJBS) for more than 50 years. Rider now awards three college credits to Jersey Boys State graduate delegates who choose to enroll in the companion summer college course that incorporates the unique lessons ALJBS members are already learning. ALJBS alumni are accepted into and attend colleges and universities throughout the United States and the world, and may transfer the affordable credits earned during Boys State.
With your decision to register for American Legion Jersey Boys State, you are joining the ranks of our state’s next generation of leaders. You will soon be learning invaluable, first-hand lessons about every level of our government and politics, which will serve as the foundation of your lifelong role as an informed citizen. It has long been recognized that these are university-level lessons. In fact, the State of New Jersey passed a law in 2015 that permits institutions of higher learning to “grant up to three college credits to high school students who successfully complete the American Legion Jersey Boys State program.”
All participants in this year’s Jersey Boys State are eligible to enroll in Rider’s POL-200 “New Jersey Politics and Government” course and receive college credit during the program. This unique opportunity allows you to begin your college career with three credits already completed at a nationally accredited institution.
How to Enroll
Enrolling is simple. Just fill out and submit the form below. Please double-check your preferred email address as this is how the University will send initial instructions on how to sign up for and log into your MyRider account. Once you are logged in, you will receive online prompts on how to submit your final assignment, review your course grade and order academic transcripts that reflect your earned credits.
The special pricing for this three-credit course is $225 if you enroll by June 18, 2022. If you enroll between June 19 and June 30, 2022, the price is $250. No enrollment for college credits can be accepted after June 30, 2022.
This course price includes all fees and online resources. All participating students in POL-200 may request student identification cards and are entitled to use the campus libraries, online resources, and computer labs.
In order to be eligible for college credit, you must comply with the following:
- Fill out the registration form and provide payment.
- Eligible students may request scholarship consideration from the Jersey Boys State Foundation. To do so, go to aljbs.org/collegecredit and click on “Help with POL 200 Tuition” and follow the instructions for requesting a tuition scholarship. Do not fill out this form.
- Registration is now open. You will be enrolled in the class as soon as the online form is received.
- You must receive a final grade of “B” or better on the final exam that will be administered at the conclusion of the Jersey Boys State program.
- You must complete all aspects of the Jersey Boys State program.
- You must submit a four-page memo (not a term paper) about: your participation in Jersey Boys State, what you have learned about New Jersey politics and government, and how these lessons will inform the role you will play as a New Jersey citizen. Memos must be received not later than August 10, 2022.
- If you do not meet the requirements described above, you will be withdrawn from the course POL-200 “New Jersey Politics and Government,” ineligible for the college credit and your course registration fee will be forfeited. At the conclusion of the program, ALJBS staff will submit your final exam and completed activities to Rider University. If you have earned a “B” or better on the exam, successfully participated in all Jersey Boys State activities, submitted your memo, and paid the course fee, you will receive an official grade report and the credits will be recorded on an official transcript as POL-200 “New Jersey Politics and Government.”
Visit the Registrar page to obtain the form necessary to request an official transcript.
About the Rebovich Institute
As a student affiliated with the well regarded Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics, you are always eligible to join top public officials when they visit campus throughout the year. This does not end when the course is over. You may also take advantage of the Rebovich Institute’s internship matching opportunities. To learn more, click here and follow us at twitter.com/RebovichInst or facebook.com/RebovichInstitute.