Federal and State Grants

The One Stop Services office is open remotely. Drop into our Zoom meeting room  9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday during office hours or request an appointment by emailing us at [email protected].

This slideshow is not enabled

Federal Pell Grant 
Funded by the federal government, eligibility is determined by filing the FAFSA. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating eligibility. You will be directed to check and correct all data. Please follow the instructions in the text of Part I of your SAR. An estimate of eligibility is provided in the award letter. If you do not receive your SAR within four weeks of filing the FAFSA, call (800) 4-FED-AID for the status of your application.

New Jersey State Grants
New Jersey’s Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) is a need-based grant to assist state residents in meeting college costs at New Jersey institutions. It cannot be used to attend out-of-state institutions. By completing the FAFSA and indicating New Jersey as your legal state of residence, the New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) will receive and process your financial information and determine eligibility for TAG. If a New Jersey school is not listed as a top choice on the FAFSA in step six, the State of New Jersey will not receive your information.

New Jersey residency for one year is required to be eligible for this grant. Once HESAA processes your information they will respond to you with a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) indicating your eligibility for TAG. If there are issues preventing them from calculating your eligibility, you will be notified. It is important to respond to all requests from HESAA, so your award will be processed in a timely manner. Rider University will include an estimated Tuition Aid Grant on your award letter.

By filing the FAFSA by Rider’s priority deadline date of February 1 each year, you ensure that the first FAFSA transaction will be received by the State of New Jersey by its deadline date of April 15 for those students who received TAG previously; September 15 for all other applicants enrolled for the Fall semester; and February 15 each year for all other applicants enrolled for the Spring semester. Once you have finalized your college choice, it is your responsibility to notify the State of New Jersey.

Other State Grants
There are some states which allow students to carry state aid with them to colleges outside of their home state. These include Vermont, Rhode Island, Maryland and the District of Columbia. If applicable, check with your guidance counselor to determine how to file.