June 27 - July 1, 2022 no longer offered
Composition Week provides aspiring young composers with concentrated study in the fundamentals of composition. Through individualized attention, students of all levels of proficiency - from beginner to advanced - work with Westminster faculty members, Stefan Young, Christian Carey and Philip Orr. Classes in style, 20th-century music and musical analysis focus on works by major composers. After a week of daily private lessons and numerous compositions, students perform and record their newly composed pieces in a final concert.
- Virtual format - participate from the comfort of home
- Daily private lessons
- Analysis: college level topics
- Lab time with Finale coach
- Participate in final concert (parents, family and friends are invited to attend)
- Faculty composers share their works
- Show-and-Tell for campers to share past compositions
- Morning: 20th-century music, composition techniques, score analysis
- Afternoon: Faculty compositions, daily private lessons, computer lab work
- Evening: Working on compositions and/or supervised activities
- Final concert
- Stefan Young
- Phillip Orr
- Christian Carey
High school students who complete any Rider University Pre-College Summer Program prior to applying for first-year admission to Rider University can qualify for an annually renewable $2,000 Pre-College Completion Award. Some restrictions may apply.
$495 including the $150 deposit/processing fee.
Enrollment is open to students entering 9th grade through those having just completed their senior year. There is no application deadline for this program, however it is advisable to register early to reserve your place in this popular class. No audition is required.
Equipment (what is needed to attend the program): Good internet connection
Expectations for students: Daily attendance