Based on ongoing state and federal recommendations to reduce the spread of coronavirus, this summer Rider University is providing remote and alternative instruction and is committed to providing the same quality programming in an exciting new format.
This summer the program will be offered virtually. All class instruction with Rider faculty and materials will be provided, along with a line-up of award-winning artists and internationally acclaimed guests to present engaging masterclass sessions.
June 21 - June 26, 2020
Composition Week provides aspiring young composers with concentrated study in the fundamentals of composition. Through individualized attention, students of all levels of proficiency - from beginner to advanced - work with Westminster faculty members, Stefan Young, Christian Carey and Philip Orr. Students are taught and encouraged to expand their creativity and technique in Westminster’s Music Computing Center with access to their own personal work stations. Classes in style, 20th-century music and musical analysis focus on works by major composers. After a week of daily private lessons and numerous compositions, students perform and record their newly composed pieces in a final concert.
- Daily private lessons
- Analysis: college level topics
- Lab time with Finale coach
- Participate in final concert (parents, family and friends are invited to attend)
- Faculty composers share their works
- Show-and-Tell for campers to share past compositions
- Morning: 20th-century music, composition techniques, score analysis
- Afternoon: Faculty compositions, daily private lessons, computer lab work
- Evening: Working on compositions and/or supervised activities
- Final Concert
Virtual Composition Week Tuition
$495 (includes $50 application fee)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Enrollment is open to students entering 9th grade through those having just completed their senior year. Westminster Office of Continuing Education