Community Service is work done by a person or group of people that benefits others. The service provided should meet a specific and identified need in the community through a connection with non-profit or other community based organization. You should be able to articulate the need addressed and the people/organization that benefit from your service.
*Organizing, advertising, implementing, and distributing items (books, clothes, toiletries, food, etc) as a collection drive is community service. Simply donating items is not community service.
You do not get paid to perform community service, though sometimes food and small gifts, like a t-shirt, are given to volunteers.
Examples of Acceptable Community Service
- Preparing meals for homebound seniors through Meals on Wheels
- Serving meals to homeless patrons at Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK) or Loaves & Fishes
- Cleaning up trash at the shore through the University-sponsored beach sweeps with Clean Ocean Action
- Assisting with a Holiday party for local children from the Boys & Girls Club with the Office of Service & Civic Engagement
- Volunteering with seniors at Morris Hall, a local nursing home
- Tutoring a child in Math at the Lawrence Community Center
- Walking dogs for the local animal shelter EASEL
- Coaching a 12 and Under girls soccer team for the Lawrence Soccer Association
- Firefighters & EMT’s for your local community or the Lawrenceville community.
- Assisting with Services at your local place of worship.
- Being a leader for Boy Scouts Troop 123, Hamilton New Jersey
- Mentoring an at risk child through Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Jersey City
- Creating social media content for WomenSpace
- Working on a committee for Rider University’s Relay for Life
- Volunteering for the Rider University Resource Pantry
- Assisting with Freshman Move-In as a Bronc Buddy
- Tabling to fundraise, educate, or advocate for Alzheimer's or another specific non-profit/charity organization.
- Supporting athletes training for our participating in Special Olympics
- Stocking the food pantry and distributing food with Arm & Arm