Placement Testing Information
Liberal Arts, Education, and Fine and Performing Arts students
- There will be NO math placement testing for incoming Liberal Arts, Education, and Fine and Performing Arts students.
- Science and Mathematics Majors will take an online Math Placement Test prior to attending Orientation placement in a mathematics course. Details on this placement test will be included in the College of Liberal Arts and Science Dean's Welcome Letter.
- Students enrolled in MTH 102: Finite Mathematics will be given a brief test, prepared by the Mathematics Department, during the first five business days of the semester. Those placing below a minimum score set by the Mathematics Department on the test will be required to participate in one hour of structured tutoring per week concurrent with taking the course. All others enrolled in the class will be encouraged to participate in tutoring.
- Students with an SAT Math score of 570 or ACT score of 23 or higher are placed in Quantitative Methods I (MSD105) for 3 credits. No placement test is required.
- Students with an SAT Math score of 560 or ACT score of 22 or lower are required to take the Math Placement Test in Canvas prior to attending Orientation.
- Students with an SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 570 or higher or ACT English Score of 23 or higher are placed into Expository Writing (CMP120).
- Students with an SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 560 or lower or ACT English score of 22 or lower will be placed into Intro to Expository Writing (CMP 115).
ANY Rider student who would like to take a language course, and ALL Liberal Arts, Sciences, and Education students who must take language courses to fulfill the core language requirement, must fill out the form and then follow the instructions to go on to complete the online placement test in order to be placed properly. Please Note: Liberal Arts, Sciences and Education students will not be given a schedule at Orientation unless they have completed the online test, so it is important to take it as soon as possible before summer Orientation.
School of Fine & Performing Arts students with the following majors are required to take the Music Theory Placement Test: BA in Music Studies, BA in Arts Administration: Music Emphasis and BFA in Musical Theatre. Check-in for the Music Theory Placement Test is at 11:30 a.m. on July 15.
Lawrenceville campus with the following majors are required to participate in a Piano Placement Hearing: Bachelor of Arts in Music (instrument) EXCEPT Keyboard Primary, Bachelor of Music in Music Theater (Voice).