Summer Student Specific FAQs

The One Stop Services office is open remotely. Drop into our Zoom meeting room  9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday during office hours or request an appointment by emailing us at [email protected].

This slideshow is not enabled

Financial Aid options are limited during the summer. Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid at 609-896-5360 or [email protected] prior to summer registration in order to explore these options.

Note:  If financial aid is not in place at the start of the session, students will be expected to pay their charges in full

What type of financial aid can I receive for summer?
You must first fill out an Application for Summer Financial Aid to be eligible for aid. Summer aid is generally offered in the form of loans (except for Pell eligible students--see below). Assuming you are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) and you have not exhausted all of your Federal Stafford eligibility then you will be offered a Stafford loan. If you have no additional Stafford eligibility remaining, you may finance your summer classes through a private loan by contacting the respective lender. If you identify another lender offering private loans, Rider will gladly work with you and your chosen lender. In addition, please be advised students generally need to apply with a credit-worthy co-signer. PLUS loans are also available for parents of undergraduate students and graduate students who filed the FAFSA and are enrolled at least half-time.

I will only be taking 3 credits this summer; can I still apply for aid?
If you are only taking 3 credits during the entire summer session, you will not be eligible for a Federal Stafford loan. In order to utilize a Stafford loan during summer a minimum of 6 credits for the combined summer 1 & 2 sessions is required. You may apply for a private loan using a lender that permits borrowing for students enrolled less than half-time. Rider will gladly work with you and your chosen lender. In addition, be advised students generally need to apply with a credit-worthy co-signer.

When will I hear from the Office of Financial Aid?
A financial aid counselor will review your application to determine any potential aid eligibility or indicate how much you can apply for in a loan to cover summer expenses and will send you an email. This notification will be sent to your Rider email account.

When I receive the notification, what do I do then?
If you have already accepted a Stafford loan, you do not need to fill out any additional document unless this is your first time borrowing a Stafford loan. If it is your first time, you need to fill out a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and also complete Entrance Counseling at If you are applying for a private loan you need to complete an application with the lender (links below) and be credit approved. The lender will then notify Rider that you have a loan awaiting school certification and your funds can be processed.

Can I receive scholarships or grants for summer?
Scholarships and grants generally are not offered during summer school, except Pell grants for eligible students.

Can I transfer my financial aid to another college for instance a county college?
No, financial aid does not transfer to other schools. In order to receive financial aid at a school you need to be degree seeking at that institution.

I did not get financial aid last semester, but I would like to get aid starting this summer and for the upcoming academic year as well.
If you have not completed a FAFSA, then you need to submit the FAFSA application for 2019–2020 and 2020-2021. The 2019–2020 FAFSA will determine your eligibility for summer and the 2020–2021 FAFSA will determine your eligibility for fall 2020 and spring 2021.

Lender Links

Please refer to our online student loan comparison tool for lender information.

Many options exist, and you are not required to use one of these loans or lenders. Rider will gladly work with you and your chosen lender.