Students who are present in the United States in F-1 and J-1 status are responsible for filing tax forms. Students from abroad must file an income tax return each year, even if they have had no income in the United States. The 1040NR form can be obtained from the Center for International Education, along with a comprehensive booklet on how to fill it out. It is your responsibility to complete and submit tax forms to the Internal Revenue Service sometime between January 1 and April 15 each year for the past calendar year. Failure to file taxes in a timely manner may result in fines and may jeopardize any future applications for Permanent Resident Status. Check the University of Texas (Austin) website for clear directions at