Understanding the immigration rules and keeping your immigration papers in order in a new country can be a challenge. To make the transition easier, the Center for International Education assists international students regarding visa, non-immigrant status, work authorization, travel instructions for entering or leaving the U.S., school transfers, extension of stay, change of non-immigrant status, reinstatement, Social Security, and any other procedural matters concerning international students.


  • Keep your passport valid at all times.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment at all times.
  • Keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid at all times. Do not let it expire.
  • Follow proper procedures for transfer, change of degree level, and program extension. Consult with the Director of International Programs for help with these procedures.
  • Do not work off-campus without INS authorization. (You may work on-campus no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year.)
  • Apply for a Social Security Card in person in Trenton as soon as you have a work offer on campus. You will not get paid until you have received a Social Security Card.

International students in J-1 status are responsible for maintaining J-1 status in accordance with the rules set by the United States Information Agency and your Designated Program Sponsor.


International students are only permitted to work on campus during their stay in the Unted States in student status. You can search for on campus positions through the Broncs Career Link.

International Students Working Off Campus

Curricular Practical Training : For F-1 students Academic Training: For J-1 students

Secure an offer letter from Employer
Secure academic approval (from Dean of College)
Complete application for CPT
Make an appointment with Mrs. Young-Singh

Secure an offer letter from Employer
Secure academic approval (from Dean of College)
Complete application for AT
Make an appointment with Mrs. Young-Singh

Optional Pracitcal Training (OPT)
F-1 students are eligible to apply to the US Government for OPT once they are approved for graduation.
If you graduate in December, please be sure to attend the FALL OPT WORKSHOP.
If you graduate in May please be sure to attend the SPRING OPT WORKSHOP.

The Center for International Education holds OPT workshops and a Visa Seminar to assist students with transitioning from being a student in F-1 status to gaining work experieince after graduation.

Change of Status
For students who are seeking to change status and have legal documents that require translation, please find a local translation service listed below. If you are seeking Rider University to sponsor you for your Change of Status, please make an appointment with the Center for International Education.

Legal Translation Business
Inlingua Translation Services - (609) 921-2080
20 Nassau Street
Princeton, NJ 08542