Develop a library of knowledge
Students in the Rider University English department develop creativity and skills in language, writing, analysis and critical thinking. English majors can focus their studies in one of the following concentrations: literature, writing, or cinema studies. These concentrations offer substantial grounding in the rich heritage of world literature and in the cultural diversity of contemporary life.
Your literary community
The English department is filled with engaged faculty who provide one-one-one mentorship to students. Students can rely on the faculty to provide them with guidance, inspiration and mentorship as they work toward their degrees.
Put it into practice
Students are given various writing opportunities throughout their time at Rider including:
- Feedback from experienced faculty writers (poets Vincent Toro and Matthew Boyd Goldie, novelist and nonfiction writer Mickey Hess, and reviewer Jack Sullivan).
- Workshops and readings by students and professional writers, which have included Derek Walcott, Michael Dirda, Rion Amilcar Scott, Kim Gek Lin Short, Ernest J. Gaines, Edwidge Danticat, Yevgeny Yevtushenko, Todd Dills, Stephen Dunn, Daniel Borzutsky, Joe Meno, Alicia Ostriker, Kamilah Aisha Moon, Cynthia Dewi Oka, Rachel Hadas, Joyce Carol Oates, bell hooks, and Sonia Sanchez.
- Publication in The Rectangle, national publication of Sigma Tau Delta.
Join the club
English majors can enjoy an exciting intellectual atmosphere and participate in many literary activities in and outside the classroom. Gather with fellow students and discuss the art of writing, play games and build inspiration at one of our many clubs.
The places you'll go
English majors and minors can choose from internships at publishing companies, literary agencies, newspapers, and magazines, including internships in public relations, arts reviewing, non-profit fundraising, grant development, and corporate communications. Recent English interns have worked for:
- Princeton University Press
- The Washington Post
- Macmillan Publishers
- OK-Tho! Magazine
- A Guest in the House Podcast
- Eva Ries Inc.
- Rider University, University Marketing & Communications
- Rider University, Office of Enrollment Management
- Rider University, Development Office