The 1865 Society, named in honor of Rider’s founding year, recognizes individuals who demonstrate an extraordinary degree of loyalty by giving to Rider each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
Gifts of any amount, to any area of Rider, given for two or more consecutive fiscal years count toward The 1865 Society participation, and are greatly appreciated.
Membership in The 1865 Society signifies being part of a special community of donors dedicated to shaping the future of Rider. It's a community making a difference to every area of Rider — from informed and creative teaching, student scholarships, cutting-edge research, and service to the community and society at large.
You Can Make a Difference
Regardless of the area you support each year, or how much you choose to give, the impact of your gifts is powerful. Collectively, annual gifts influence Rider’s ability to meet new opportunities and emerging needs while also honoring the timeless tradition of giving back.
How to Become a Member
When you give any amount to any area of Rider for two fiscal years in a row, you will be recognized for your generosity by The 1865 Society. In order to sustain membership and achieve new recognition levels, simply make a gift every fiscal year without interruption.
The 1865 Society is a vital community of Rider supporters, and the University is proud to acknowledge members at the following qualifying levels:
- Introductory — two to four years of consecutive giving
- Cum Laude — five to 14 years of consecutive giving
- Magna Cum Laude — 15 to 24 years of consecutive giving
- Summa Cum Laude — 25 or 44 years of consecutive giving
- Maxima Cum Laude — 45 or more years of consecutive giving
Rider is extremely grateful for the commitment 1865 Society members make each and every year. Recognition of loyal donors includes:
- Annual Acknowledgment in the Honor Roll of Donors
- Annual receipt of 1865 Society Membership Card
- 1865 Society Certificate of Membership - commemorating new milestones
- 1865 Society window decal - commemorating new milestones
- Presentation of a lapel pin - commemorating this milestone (15 or more years)
- Special recognition at select Rider events (15 or more years)
- Special recognition at select Homecoming events (25 or more years)
- Induction Ceremony hosted by President and Mrs. Dell'Omo (Summa Cum Laude and Maxima Cum Laude only)
Membership is sustained as long as a gift is made to Rider every fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) without interruption. You can give to The Rider Fund, The Rider Scholarship Fund, any college, athletics program, scholarship, or any other area that interests you.
Rider alumni celebrating a quinquennial (every five years) reunion year who missed years of giving to Rider have the opportunity to rejoin The 1865 Society by “buying back” up to two fiscal years of missed giving and resuming annual giving. Years may be bought back at a rate of $50 per year.
Non-alumni parents, friends, faculty and staff of Rider may also buy back up to two fiscal years of missed giving to rejoin The 1865 Society on a quinquennial anniversary of their first gift to Rider. Years may be bought back at a rate of $50 per year.
For questions about your prior giving history, please contact Andrea Jarvis in the Office of Annual Giving at 609-896-5219 or [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
No. The 1865 Society recognizes all Rider donors who give for two or more consecutive fiscal years.
No. Gifts of any amount count toward 1865 Society membership.
No. Gifts to any area of the University count toward 1865 Society membership.
Yes. Our donor database keeps track of past giving years, and donors will be recognized for those years. For example, if you have been giving to Rider every year since 1993, you will be recognized as a Summa Cum Laude member in The 1865 Society and honored for 25 years of consecutive giving.
Yes. You can be in multiple donor societies at the same time.