- Ph.D. in Counseling, University of North Texas (CACREP accredited)
- M.Ed. in Counseling, University of North Texas (CACREP accredited, Community Mental Health Counseling)
- B.S. in Social Work, Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND AND RESEARCH
My research experience and interests center on play therapy, sandtray, parent-child relationship, teacher-student relationship, and multicultural related issues in counseling. I serve as a North Atlantic Region Facilitator for the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision-The International Students and Faculty Interest Network (ISFIN) and an ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy. These two positions align with my passion for diversity issues in the counseling profession. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), a National Certified Counselor (NCC), and a Registered Play Therapist (RPT). My counseling experience includes school, community, private practice settings. I also strive to maintain active in clinical practice by providing play therapy services to children in local schools.
- Cheng, Y. & Ray, D. C. (2016). Child-centered group play therapy: Impact on social-emotional assets of kindergarten children. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 41(3), 209-237. doi: 10.1080/01933922.2016.1197350
- Lindo, N. A., Opiola, K., Ceballos, P. L., Chen, S. Y., Meany-Walen, K. K., Cheng, Y. J., Barcenas, G., Reader E., & Blalock, S. (2016). The impact of supervised filial therapy training on attitude, knowledge, and skills. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 1-8. doi: 10.1177/1066480716648696
- Meany-Walen, K., Lindo, N. A., Opiola, K., Chung, C. F., Chen, D., Cheng, Y. J., Yousef, D., & Turley, E. (2014). Therapeutic play: Undergraduate students’ perceptions of the process and outcome of supervised play-based training. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 4(14), 45-51.
- Meany-Walen, K., Lindo, N. A., Turley, E., Chung, C.F., Akay, S., Cheng, Y. J., & Chen, S. Y. (2013). Evaluating the impact of intensive supervision on child-centered play therapy training. British Journal of Play Therapy, 9, 16-25.
- Translating by Tsai, M., Cheng, Y., Chung, C., & Wan, K. (in progress). Kottman, T., & Meany-Walen, K. (2016). Partners in play: An Adlerian approach to play therapy (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association. Sin Dian, Taiwan: Psy.
- Cheng, Y. & Yousef, D. (2018, April). Play Therapy and Children's Experiences of their Transgender Parents' Transition. Proposal accepted and will present at the American Counseling Association 2018 Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Chen, S., & Cheng, Y. (2017, October). Journey of Ethnic Minority Supervisors: Strengths and Challenges in Cross-Cultural Supervision. Round table discussion presented at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision 2017 Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Cheng, Y. (2017, September). Utilizing child-centered group play therapy with kindergarten children with social-emotional difficulties in schools. 90-minute content session presented at the New Jersey Association for Play Therapy 1st Conference, Jersey City, NJ.
- Ener, E., & Cheng, Y. (2017, April). Ethics in play therapy. Invited to present a 3-hour presentation at the Texas Association for Play Therapy, Austin, TX.
- Cheng, Y. (2016, September). Children’s social emotional development and child-centered group play therapy: A randomized controlled trial study. Poster presented at the Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling 2016 Conference, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Cheng, Y., & Ray, D. C. (2016, April). Effectiveness of group play therapy and the role of empathy. Education session presented at the American Counseling Association 2016 Conference, Montréal, QC, Canada.
- Wagner, T., Cheng, Y., Yaites, L., & Ritzi, R. (2016 January). What's Missing from Research: Counselor Educator and Student Experiences with Qualitative and Quantitative Research. Session presented at the Texas Association for Counselor Education and Supervision 2016 MidWinter Conference, Austin, Texas.
- Schulz, L., Ceballos, P., & Cheng, Y. (2015, October). 2015 Grapevine Colleyville ISD school counselor ethics training. Six-hour training on ethics provided to school counselors at the Grapevine Colleyville school districts, Grapevine, Texas.
- Cheng, Y. (2015, April). Utilizing family art assessment activity with students in cultural diversity course. Session presented at the Association for Creativity in Counseling Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Cheng, Y., & Yaites, L. (2014, November). Speaking loudly: Experiences of ethnic minority counselor education doctoral students. Session presented at the Texas Counseling Association 58th Professional Growth Conference, Dallas, Texas.
- 2014 The Texas Association for Play Therapy Dan E. Homeyer Research Grant Award
- Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling (AARC)
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD)
- Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling (ACAC)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Chi Sigma Iota, International Honor Society in Counseling (CSI)
- CNPY 518 Counseling Children, Adolescents, and Their Families
- COUN 585 Practicum in Counseling
- EDPS 520 Measurements, Tests, and Assessment in Counseling