Ma Lei Hsieh
Moore Library 333
2083 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Liaison: Communication and Journalism; Communication Graduate Programs; Criminal Justice/Law & Justice; Educational Opportunity Program (EOP); Sociology and Criminology
- B.A., Tunghai University, Taiwan (Western Languages and Literature)
- M.L.S., Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- M.A., Wheaton College (Cross Cultural Communication)
- Web Development Proficiency Certificate, Foothill College, CA
- Co-coordinator, Research Instruction Program
- Library Instruction
- Government Documents
- Liaison: Communication and Journalism; Communication Graduate Programs; Criminal Justice/Law & Justice; Educational Opportunity Program (EOP); Sociology and Criminology
Honors and Awards
- 2015 ALA Carroll Preston Baber Research Grant ($2980) for the research project Experimenting with I-Learn Model and Its Impact on Students' Learning, Mar. 8, 2015.
- Summer Research Fellowship for the project “Librarian and faculty collaboration in assessing student information literacy and in helping students learn.” Granted 20 research leave days. Rider University AAUP, May 2012.
- Awarded a 2009 grant by the Rider University’s Assessment Committee to attend the ACRL Immersion Program, Assessment Track, Dec. 2-6, 2009.
- “2008 Research Award” for article “The State of Wireless Laptop Lending Programs: A Survey of Academic Libraries,” co-authored with H. Holden, published in Library Hi Tech (25:2), pp. 260-75, 2007. Research Committee of the joint New Jersey Library Association College & University Section (NJLA CUS) and Association of College & Research Libraries New Jersey Chapter (ACRL-NJ).
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Hsieh, M.L., Dawson, P.H., Hofmann, M.A., Titus, M.L. & Carlin, M.T. “Four Pedagogical Approaches in Helping Students Learn Information Literacy Skills.” Journal of Academic Librarianship, 40.3-4(2014): 234-246. DOI: 10.1016/j.acalib.2014.03.012 http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S009913331400038X
- Hsieh, M.L., Dawson, P.H. & Carlin, M.T. “What Five Minutes in the Classroom Can Do to Uncover the Basic Information Literacy Skills of Your College Students: A Multiyear Assessment Study.” Evidence Based Library and Information Practice, 8.3(2013): 34-57.
- Hsieh, M.L., McManimon, S. & Yang, S. “Faculty-Librarian Collaboration in Improving Information Literacy Skills of Educational Opportunity Program.” Reference Services Review, 41.2 (2013): 313-335.
- Dawson, P.H., Hsieh, M.L. & Carlin, M.T. “Quantitative/Qualitative Analysis of Assessing Student Information Literacy Skills: The Power of Librarian-Faculty Collaborations.” Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries (QQML), 1 (2012): 35-42.
- Hsieh, M.L. & Holden, H. “The Effectiveness of a University’s Single-Session Information Literacy Instruction.” Reference Services Review, 38.3 (2010): 458-473.
- Hsieh, M.L. & Holden, H. “A University Library Laptop Lending Service: An Analysis Using Two Student Surveys.” Library High Tech, 26.3 (2008): 424-439.
- Holden, H. & Hsieh, M.L. “The State of Wireless Laptop Lending Programs: A Survey of Academic Libraries,” co-authored with Hugh Holden. Library Hi Tech, 25.2 (2007): 260-274.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Hsieh, Ma Lei, Susan McManimon, Sharon Yang. “The Effectiveness of I-LEARN Model for Information Literacy Instruction.” the 2nd Annual International Conference on Library and Information Science, Athens, Greece (July 27, 2015).
- Hsieh, M.L., S. J. Mcmanican, S.Q. Yang. “Teach Research Instruction with I-Learn Model: Explore New Ways to Nurture Information Literacy in Students.” 2015 NJLA Annual Conference, Long Branch, NJ, April 22, 2015.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei, Patricia Dawson, Melissa Hofmann, Megan Titus & Michael Carlin. “Exploring assessment based pedagogies in helping students learn information literacy skills.” European Conference on Information Literacy (ECIL), Istanbul, Turkey (Oct. 22, 2013).
- Hsieh, Ma Lei, Patricia Dawson, Melissa Hofmann, Megan Titus & Michael Carlin. “Evidence-based practice for research instruction: Three pedagogical approaches.” The 7th International Evidence Based Library and Information Practice Conference, Saskatoon, Canada (July 16, 2013).
- Hsieh, Ma Lei, Patricia Dawson, Melissa Hofmann, Megan Titus & Michael Carlin. “Experimenting with Teaching Strategies for Information Literacy Instruction Sessions.” International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, Rome, Italy (June 4, 2013).
- Hsieh, Ma Lei, Melissa Hofmann, Patricia Dawson & Megan Titus. “Research Instruction through Librarian-Faculty Collaboration Using Engaging Strategies.” Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State Univ., Blacksburg, VA, Feb. 6, 2013.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei; Dawson, Patricia & Carlin, Michael. “Problem Solved: Maximizing the Power of Research Instruction Through Librarian-Faculty Collaboration.” Library Research Roundtable Forum, 2012 American Library Association Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA. June 23, 2012.
- Dawson, Patricia; Hsieh, Ma Lei & Carlin, Michael. “Quantitative/Qualitative Analysis of Assessing Student Information Literacy Skills: The Power of Librarian-Faculty Collaborations.” The 4th International Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, Limerick, Ireland, May 22-25, 2012.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei; McManimon, Susan & Yang, Sharon. “Faculty/librarian Collaboration in Improving Information Literacy of EOP Students – A Case Study.” 2012 Information Fluency Conference. Orlando, FL, March 14, 2012.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei & Patricia Dawson. “A University’s Information Literacy Assessment Program Using Google Docs.” Brick & Click an Academic Library Symposium, Maryville, MO, Nov. 5, 2010.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei. “How Effective Is a One-Session Library Instruction? An Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes.” Brick & Click an Academic Library Symposium, Maryville, MO, Nov. 6, 2009.
- Hsieh, Ma Lei. “Assessment of Library Instruction for Generation Y Students.” Wuhan University, China, Oct. 24, 2008. The 21st Century Librarian Seminar Series.