Creative Practices: Choral Rehearsal Technique
ONLINE Creative Practices: Choral Rehearsal Technique
June 3 - July 12, 2019
This innovative and unique course features new avenues of music learning that will build long term music skills in ensembles, regardless of age. The Creative Practices online program focuses on groundbreaking rehearsal techniques and rehearsal strategies based the psychology of music. Use of these grounded principles serve as a foundation for developing a comprehensive rehearsal process.
Students will be led through the new text, Inside the Choral Rehearsal.
- Practical knowledge about teaching literacy through listening
- Ensemble rehearsal techniques that build long term musical growth
- Analysis of vocal problems
- Use of vowel modification to dramatically improve intonation
- Use of chant and chant like materials to build music skill
It is helpful if students have access to a choir to capture video of rehearsals, but it is not a requirement to participate in the course.
GRAMMY-nominated conductor James Jordan designed this unique online format to share the rehearsal techniques he developed over his 25 years at Westminster Choir College. These methods are an integral part of the musical rehearsal life of the GRAMMY-nominated Westminster Williamson Voices.
$1850 (For 3 Graduate credits)
$650 (Not for credit)
- Jordan, James. Inside the Choral Rehearsal: Harmonic Rehearsal Teaching and Learning Based on the Music Learning Theory of Edwin E. Gordon. Chicago: GIA, 2017.
- Jordan, James. The Conductor’s Aural Tutor. Chicago: GIA.
- Jordan, James. Whitbourn, James and Burns, Isabella. Discovering Chant. Chicago: GIA.
- Vodicka, Jason and Jordan, James. Inside The Choral Rehearsal: Resource Guide for Eric Whitacre Lux Arumque. Chicago: GIA, 2016