TRIO Programs were established to help students overcome class, social, academic and cultural barriers to higher education. These federal programs were designed to:
- Identify promising students (Talent Search Programs)
- Prepare them to do college-level work (Upward Bound Programs)
- Provide information on academic and financial aid opportunities (Educational Opportunity Centers)
- Provide support and tutoring services to students once they reach campus (Student Support Services Programs)
- Encourage undergraduate students to consider careers in college teaching as well as prepare for doctoral study (Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Programs)
Students enrolled in TRIO Programs mirror our nation's multicultural and multiethnic society. As of 1997, there were 2,000 TRIO Programs and 730,000 students being served throughout the nation. Since 1965, an estimated two million students have graduated from college with the assistance and support of our nation's TRIO Programs.
Rider University presently has two TRIO programs on campus The Student Support Service Program and the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program.
Testimonials from Our Students
- “SSS has made me take pride in my learning differences and helped me not to let any obstacle get in the way of my future career goals, and most of all, to enhance my self-esteem.”
- “I have connected with so many wonderful people in SSS, and most of all, I have grown from being exposed to different backgrounds.”
- “SSS has been to me one of the most amazing programs that I have encountered in all my years of schooling.”
- “Student Support Services is like my second family.”
- “From SSS, I have derived skills and have partaken in superb activities that I will remember for a lifetime. I will never forget the inspiring Alumni Career Panel, makeup workshops, dinner and campus play nights, birthday parties, time management seminars, and end-of-year banquets.”
- “Having the wonderful SSS Program helped me in so many ways to get where I am now.”
- “SSS holds frequent social and cultural events for its students. Thanks SSS!”
- “I appreciate with all my heart all that SSS has done for me and for implanting in me so much confidence, hope, and wisdom.”
- “SSS has enriched my life at Rider and has really become my family.”
A commitment to advancing educational opportunity.