Change of Address, Name, Contact or Social Security Number

Academics / Academic Support Services / Registrar / Change of Address, Name, Contact or Social Security Number
This slideshow is not enabled

In this section:

Change of Address and Contact Number

Students are able to update their address or phone number through myRider by selecting "View/Update Personal Information". Once submitted, the information is changed in the campus-wide student data system.


Failure to advise the University of address changes may result in failure to receive semester and other bills, registration information, policy changes, etc. In the absence of accurate address information, the University will not be responsible for the timely delivery of any of these items. Additionally, in the case of semester bills and registration, one may also be held responsible for late fees and/or penalties. Please note: Do not add a “valid until” date for your most recent permanent address.

USPS change of address information and forms


By editing the Permanent and Cell numbers, you are changing the telephone numbers that Rider uses to contact you regarding all University business, including all telephone and text messaging of emergency notifications via RiderAlert.

The Permanent number is used to contact you by telephone. The Cell number is used to contact you by text message. You may choose to use the same telephone number for both the Permanent and Cell number. The Permanent number must not be a Rider desk phone or residence hall phone.

Emergency Contact

In the event of an emergency, Rider University will contact a student's parent, guardian or spouse.  You can add additional emergency contact numbers on myRider.

Change of Name

Legal Name

Change of legal name requests must be made by completing a form in the Registrar’s office, accompanied by legal proof of the name change. Current students must show a social security card to change their name.

Preferred First Name

Rider University recognizes that members of the university community may not use the name that they were assigned at birth, as it does not reflect their identity. The university seeks to promote the comfort and safety of students, staff, and faculty who wish to be identified by a name other than their legal name by displaying a preferred first name in documents and in university systems where the legal name is not required by law.

To submit a preferred name, log into myRider and select the following which appears in the personal information box:

Banner 9 View/Update Personal Information

Acceptable uses of chosen/preferred name include, but are not limited to:

  • A chosen name that better represents your gender identity
  • A middle name instead of first name
  • An abbreviated or Nickname (Nora instead of Eleanor)
  • A chosen American name (Jamie instead of Jiachen)
  • A name to which you are in the process of legally changing

Note: The university reserves the right to remove any preferred first name that is deemed to be inappropriate, derogatory or misrepresentative (e.g., is being used in an attempt to avoid legal obligations or confuse one's identity with that of another). Those who intentionally misuse the preferred first name option may be subject to disciplinary action.

As of Spring semester 2020, a student’s preferred first name will automatically appear on:

  • class lists
  • faculty grading
  • student advising profile
  • Degree works
  • Canvas

When requested, it may also appear on:

  • University ID card (contact Jan Friedman-Krupnick, Director of Business and Technology Innovation, Bart Luedeke Center 109 or [email protected])
  • Email display name (contact Jan Friedman-Krupnick, Director of Business and Technology Innovation, Bart Luedeke Center 109 or [email protected])
  • Diploma (When the graduation application is submitted, students are given the opportunity to provide the name to appear on the diploma).  

The student’s legal name must be displayed on the following documents: 

  • transcripts
  • enrollment certifications
  • degree verification requests
  • financial aid records
  • health insurance
  • student financial accounts
  • payroll (i.e. W-2)
  • reimbursement check requests

Change of Parent Phone Number

You may not change a parent phone number in myRider. To change a parent phone number or add a new one, email [email protected] with your name and Bronc ID, the name of your parent and the phone number and type (i.e. cell, permanent, business).

Change of Email

The Rider Email address is the official address to be used for all Rider communications. Students using a preferred/married name may request to change their Rider e-mail by contacting Jan Friedman-Krupnick, Director of Business and Technology Innovation, Bart Luedeke Center 109 or [email protected].

Students may add a personal email address to their personal information but this address will not be used for official University communications.

Change of Social Security Number

Students: A request to change your social security number in the University Administrative System must be made in person at the Registrar’s office.

Student employees: To change your Social Security Number on your payroll records, please present the Social Security Card reflecting your accurate Name and Social Security Number to the Disbursements Department in the Moore Library building, Room 106.

Visit Social Security Online for answers to frequently asked questions.

Change of Legal Sex

Review this site for laws pertaining to changing your legal sex.  To have this change reflected in the University Administrative system, please bring the appropriate documentation to the Registrar’s office.