Monday, Feb 14, 2022
Fletcher Coach of the Year, Binning Diver and Rookie Diver of the Year
by Rider Sports Information
The Rider University men's swimming and diving team claimed its 10th-straight MAAC Championship on Saturday, Feb. 13. The Broncs finished with a total of 706 points, ahead of second-placed Fairfield's 585.
Head coach Steve Fletcher was named MAAC Men's Swimming and Diving Coach of the Year, his 10th time receiving the honor. Freshman Sean Binning was named both the MAAC Diver and MAAC Rookie Diver of the Year.
A number of Broncs finished in the top six for their events.
- Senior Kyle Iorizzo won the 1,650-free, finishing with a time of 15:29.48. The time was over ten seconds ahead of the field.
- Binning won the 1-meter with a score of 252.30 and sophomore Marcas Racevicius was third with a score of 218.45.
- Rider won the 400-free relay in 3:00.33. Junior Lucas Racevicius, senior Jack Ruggieri, senior Webster Bozzo and senior Joe Gewartowski combined for the winning swim.
- In the 200-breast, senior David Cooper swam 2:00.94 for second place.
- In the 200-back, Racevicius, sophomore Christian Overton, junior David Rucci and freshman Derek Fantano took second, third, fifth and sixth respectively.
- Sophomore Bobby Irwin was fourth in the 200-fly with a time of 1:50.82.
- Ruggieri was sixth in the 100-free, stopping the clock at 45.74.
Rider's qualifiers advance to the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships, which take place Feb. 25-27.