Friday, Jul 24, 2020
A letter to students from Vice President of Student Affairs Fenneberg and Associate Dean for Residence Life Butler
As you prepare for the start of the semester, students who will have hybrid or in-person classes or otherwise access the physical campus need to plan ahead to assure they are complying with COVID-related travel advisories.
Rider University requires all students entering New Jersey from outside of the United States, or from the domestic states that fall under the New Jersey advisory, to quarantine for a 14-day period prior to engaging in community on campus. It’s important to note that this list is updated regularly and can change at any time. Students who originate from states that get added to this list later will still be required to quarantine, and students who originate from states that are removed from this list.
Students are expected to continue to review the states included in the travel advisory, make plans accordingly and commit to not interacting with others on campus until quarantining conditions have been met.
CDC conditions for quarantine include:
- Staying at home
- Not having visitors
- Staying at least 6 feet away from other people in your household
- Using standard hygiene and washing hands frequently
- Not sharing things like towels and utensils
Further, New Jersey guidance suggests that “individuals should leave the place of self-quarantine only to seek medical care/treatment or to obtain food and other essential items.”
All students must adhere to quarantine guidelines, as a part of a forthcoming responsibility pledge each student must agree to prior to coming to campus.
Students who plan to live off-campus fall 2020 who originate from one of these locations will be expected to quarantine in their personal off-campus living arrangements before engaging on campus, following the above stated conditions.
Students who plan to live on-campus fall 2020 who originate from one of these locations have two choices to fulfill their quarantine:
- Students may choose to quarantine in New Jersey for the duration of the quarantine period if their accommodations permit them to adhere to the quarantine conditions required as outlined above. Students cannot split their quarantine period between off-campus and on-campus to promote full adherence to the intent of quarantine guidance.
- Students who plan to live on-campus fall 2020 who do not have arrangements in the state to appropriately quarantine will be accommodated on campus. Quarantine housing will be available for dates beginning between August 8-14. Students should consider their arrival date, accounting for a 14-day required quarantine period before engaging with the community. Move-in dates will be approved based on the following timelines for engagement on campus.
- Potential engagement for Welcome Week events for new students will begin for Westminster Choir College Students August 23 and for all other new students August 25. Welcome Week events for returning students will begin for returning students August 26. *Note: Welcome Week programming may have some in-person elements, but will be largely delivered in a hybrid or remote format.
- Student-athletes should plan the date of engagement based on guidance from their coach/es.
As a reminder from the July 15 campus communication about fall housing updates, students who have reapplied for housing and selected a room will receive confirmation of their fall assignment on July 30.
Students will identify their early arrival date for quarantine housing and related move-in time beginning August 3 via their MyRider account. Qualifying students will be assigned a quarantine location. We will accommodate as many people in their fall assignment as possible, but we may require quarantine in temporary locations to align with quarantine expectations in some cases (e.g. roommates cannot quarantine together, too many quarantine students sharing a common area bathroom, transition of spaces from summer occupants, etc.).
While on campus, students are asked to maintain social distance from other students in ordinance with New Jersey quarantine guidance. Students will be permitted to leave their residence hall to pick-up meals and exercise individually. Students should wear cloth face coverings when inside any building (outside personal room) and outside when social distancing is not possible, and adhere to other quarantine conditions outlined above.
Students will not be charged for the additional 2-weeks of quarantine housing, but they will be automatically billed a daily meal plan cost of $12.55 based on their move-in date. Students can pick up a full day of meals, once per day in Daly Dining Hall. The daily meal package will include lunch, dinner and breakfast for the following day, along with snacks and beverages.
We understand that the designated quarantine period is inconvenient, but it is one additional essential step to adhering to state guidance for returning to campus, and to promoting a safe and healthy community. We appreciate your compliance with this mandate.
Additional information will be shared directly with students who plan to live on campus who are originating from the travel advisory areas outlined previously. If you have questions related to housing, please contact Residence Life at [email protected], or participate in one of our scheduled Residence Life Zoom drop-in hours every Monday-Thursday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Log-in with this Zoom link.
Additional questions related to the Resolved and Ready plan can be emailed to [email protected].
Leanna Fenneberg, Ph.D.
Vice President of Student Affairs
Associate Dean for Residence Life