NGSS Professional Development Initiatives and Resources
The 2020 CONNECT-ED Summer Institute has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for the summer of 2021.
CONNECT-ED: Developing Multiple Levels of Explanations for Phenomena
July 14-16, 2020, 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. in Lawrenceville, NJ
During this Summer Institute, we will be investigating phenomena in life science, physical science, and Earth science. Participants will be guided in using relevant Core Ideas to develop models and construct explanations appropriate for the grade level they teach: elementary, middle, or high school. These multiple levels of models and explanations will be discussed and compared, after which Teacher Leaders will share and discuss models and explanations developed by their own students. At the conclusion of the Institute, participants will plan investigations in which students are guided to develop grade-level appropriate models and explanations for phenomena of their choice.
$250 Registration Fee (includes lunch)
Earn 20 Professional Development Credits
Lead Facilitators: Wil van der Veen, Cathlene Leary-Elderkin, and NGSS Teacher Leaders
Contact information: [email protected] or 609-896-5333
- Next Generation Science Standards Arranged by Disciplinary Core Idea (DCI) or Topic
- Archived webinars and podcasts on all aspects of NGSS
- Relevant articles
- Readers Guide to the Frameworks
- Readers Guide to the NGSS
- A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas (2012); National Academies Press
- EQuIP Rubric for Lessons and Units: Science
- Classroom Sample Assessment Tasks
- NGSS Evidence Statements for High School
- Guide to Implementing the Next Generation Science Standards (NRC, 2015)
- NGSS App by NSTA
You can download the Next Generation Science Standards app by searching “MasteryConnect” or “Next Generation Science Standards” in your app store or by visiting the iOS Store or Android Marketplace. Look for the app to be available in the Windows Store soon.