Living Safely Off Campus
Rider University is dedicated to ensuring the safety of our students both on and off campus. When moving off campus, we encourage all students to be proactive about their personal safety, and want everyone to make smart decisions regarding their safety and well-being.
Before making the big move, use information resources such as NeighborhoodScout to check the safety of your desired area(s). After selecting your place, take a few minutes to review the following suggestions below that will help to keep you, and your apartment, safe and secure.
Rental Safety Tips
- Keep your doors locked at all times. If you live in an apartment building with a main lobby or entrance, always be considerate of your neighbors’ safety and do not leave doors propped open.
- Be sure that all apartment windows are secured at all times. Broken locks or missing screens should be reported to your landlord immediately. If no one is home, keep all blinds or curtains closed.
- Before a utility or service worker enters your rental, ask to see a company ID to verify their identify and ensure your safety.
Inside the Rental:
- If living with roommates, keep in mind that staying safe is a shared responsibility. Once moved in, establish security best practices with your roommates and be aware of their safety habits.
- When no one is home, leave a light on in a shared location (i.e.; the kitchen or living area) or purchase a utility timer that can turn lights off and on automatically.
- Test your smoke detector(s) at least once a month and replace the batteries at least once or twice a year.