New Student Orientation
Orientation Leader Position Description
Orientation Leaders are undergraduate student leaders who assist in the organization and execution of Placement Testing, Summer Orientation, Fall Opening, and January Orientation. The position is full-time during the summer and the week prior to January Orientation. Specific duties include:
- Represent Rider University to incoming first year students, transfer students, and their families
- Participate in staff training and development
- Work with faculty, staff, and others in coordinating and leading program sessions
- Answer questions asked by students or family members or direct them to appropriate resources and offices
- Perform office work including filing, mailings, and spreadsheet management
- Work as a team on duties both in preparation for and during Orientation sessions
- Act as a liaison to Rider University offices
- Attend an Info Session: Location: BLC 257 Tuesday, October 23rd at 11:30am, Thursday, October 25th at 11:30am, Tuesday, October 30th at 11:30am, Friday, November 9th at 3:00pm, Monday, November 12th at 5:00pm.
- Submit your application online by Friday, November 30th at noon. (View application)
- Submit two written references by November 30th at noon (View reference form)
- Candidates who are selected for the group interview will be notified on December 7th by 5 p.m. with details regarding meeting location.
- Group Interviews will be held on Friday, February 8th from 4 - 6:30pm
- Individual Interviews will be held the week of February 11th, by appointment
- Friday, November 30th Applications due by noon
- Friday, February 8th, 4 - 6:30pm Group Interview
- Friday - Sunday, March 15-17 Training retreat!
- Monday, May 20, 2019 First full day of work!
Frequently Asked Questions
When and how long are orientation sessions?
All freshmen will attend a two-day program during the summer. Check in on the first day begins at 1 p.m. and the program begins promptly at 2 p.m. Parents and family members check in at the same time as their students. Day 1 programming for parents and family members ends at 8 p.m. Day 2 of orientation for all attendees begins at 8 a.m. and ends by 3 p.m.
What if I need to change my orientation session date?
If you need to reschedule your Orientation, please call 609-896-5373 or email [email protected].
Incoming freshmen are expected to stay overnight in the residence halls during Orientation. Parents and family members coming from a distance are invited to stay at local hotels. Please click "Local Hotel Accommodations" on the left of the page for information on hotels that will provide Rider families a discounted rate.
Are you a Westminster Choir College Student?
Visit the Princeton campus Orientation information section that is specific to Princeton campus students.
I am afraid to take a language in my first semester of college. I don’t know if I can handle college-level language courses.
The placement testing system has been quite accurate in placing students at the appropriate level, so you will not be challenged above your abilities. In fact, students who wait to take a language until later in their college career find that they forget information and have greater difficulty with their courses. Most importantly, Rider professors in the language courses are focused first and foremost on student success. They want you to do well and help you every step of the way. Courses are taught in such a way that students make connections between the language they are studying and the many cultures of the world who use the language in every day conversation, business environments and in literature, music and the arts. Many of our students like the experience so much that they add a minor or double major in the language and see its benefits to their overall career goals. Taking your language course right away will give you the necessary time to continue your study if you choose to, and perhaps to even add a study abroad experience to your studies.