Frequently Asked Questions

Offices Services / Office of Community Standards / Frequently Asked Questions
This slideshow is not enabled

Q: What is the Student Code of Social Conduct?
A: The Student Code of Social Conduct is a document which explains the University conduct process, policies, and expectations of students.

Q: Where does the Student Code of Social Conduct apply?
A: The Student Code of Social Conduct applies “to any student conduct that occurs on University premises and at University sponsored events activities, and also off-campus conduct that adversely affects the University Community or the pursuit of its objectives,...from the time of acceptance for admission through the actual admission awarding of a degree…” The Student Code of Conduct also applies to a student’s conduct, even if the student withdraws from the University while a disciplinary matter is pending.

Q: How will I know if I’ve been charged by the Office of Community Standards?
A: When you have been charged by the Office of Community Standards, you will receive communication via your Rider email explaining the potential policy violations, the level at which you are being charged, your administrative hearing time and location, and how to contact your hearing officer. This communication is known as a charge letter. Your charge letter will be sent a minimum of 2 days in advance of your administrative hearing.

Q: What if I cannot make the scheduled hearing time?
A: We suggest if you cannot make your scheduled hearing time, that you contact the hearing officer who sent you the original charge letter.

Q: What is the difference between levels and tiers?
A: Tiers are used solely for alcohol violations. For violations of the Alcohol Policy, charges can either fall under a Tier One or Tier Two. For a thorough differentiation of the difference between Tier One and Tier Two, please see our Alcohol Policy on pages 12-16 in the Student Code of Social Conduct. For all other policies, violations range from Levels 1 to 5. Higher level violations are levels 1-3 and lower level violations are levels 4 and 5. For a thorough explanation of the differences between levels 1-5, please see pages 18-21 in the Student Code of Social Conduct.

Q: When will my parents or guardians be notified if I violate policy?
A: In some circumstances, your parents or guardians will be notified if you violate University policy. Some instances would include violations of the alcohol policy or violation of the drug policy. Parents or guardians will be notified via an official letter that will be mailed home.

Q: How do I find an organization or office on campus to complete my Community Restitution hours?
A: When the sanction of community restitution is given to a student who has been found responsible for violating University policy, the hearing officer will explain the different on-campus locations that are approved community restitution sites. If you have more questions about other on-campus locations or off-campus locations, please contact your hearing officer or the Office of Community Standards.

Q: What is the Good Samaritan Policy?
A: The Good Samaritan policy explains that members of the Rider community have an obligation to contact the Department of Public Safety or a Residence Life staff member when they believe an intoxicated person may be in need of assistance. No intoxicated community member seeking and/or receiving assistance for themselves or others will be subject to sanctions by the University under Rider’s Alcohol Policy. However, completion of educational or counseling initiatives, which are intervention and prevention based, will be mandatory. Failure to complete those initiatives will be cause for action under the Code of Conduct. However, it should be noted that community members who demonstrate a consistent and repeated pattern of behavior, after intervention and education, will not be considered under this policy.

Q: How can I request a background check?
A: To request a background check, please contact the Office of Community Standards at (609) 896-5292, well in advance of when you need the paperwork, and deliver a signed release, along with address and office of location you want the background check delivered.

Q: Is my disciplinary record permanent?
A: The University stores student records for up to 7 years after a student graduates or withdraws. Records may be kept longer at the sole discretion of the University.