Student Visa Information

All F-1 and J-1 Applicants

The Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status," is issued by the Office of Admission to international students who have been granted admission to Rider University's programs. This form is required to gain entry to the United States for study on an F-1 Visa. The Form DS-2019, "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status".

To obtain the form, you must:

  • be admitted to study at the University
  • complete the required financial documentation form
  • supply the required supporting financial documents
  • supply copies of your previous I-20 forms (if applicable)
  • complete the International Transfer Release Form, if you will be transferring from another U.S. institution

If you submit the required documentation at the time of application, we will send the I-20 form with your university acceptance. If you qualify academically, but have not submitted the required documentation, we will issue a Conditional Acceptance. Your acceptance will not become official, and you will not receive the I-20 form, until you have provided the required documentation.

You should use the Rider University I-20 form to obtain your Visa only if you plan to enroll at Rider University. If you decide not to attend Rider, you should discard the form, and use the form provided by the institution you plan to attend.

If you have questions about your I-20 or DS-2019, please contact the appropriate admission staff member.

Transfer from a US Institution

If you currently attend another institution (high school, college, or language program) in the United States, your current institution will need to transfer your SEVIS record to Rider University in order for Rider to issue your new I-20. At the time of application, you should supply Rider with copies of your previous I-20 forms. After acceptance, if you have decided to attend Rider, you will need to complete the International Transfer Release Form. This form should be filled out by you, and the international advisor at your current institution. Once this form is completed, and your institution has transferred your SEVIS record, Rider will issue your new I-20 form. You should only request your SEVIS record to be transferred if you are definitely attending Rider University for the upcoming term.

Other Visa Types

If you are currently in the United States on a Visa, it is important that you verify that you can pursue undergraduate or graduate study on your current visa. We recommend that you visit the Department of State web site at for information specific to your visa type. If you have general questions, you can contact the Office of Admission at [email protected].

If you will not be attending Rider University on an F-1 student visa or exchange visa, you are not required to supply the University with financial documentation. You are eligible for merit scholarships, but, generally, are not eligible for need-based financial assistance.