Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 12:00
Contacting the Help Desk
In order to obtain the fastest support from OIT, we would like to confirm the best ways to contact the Help Desk.
Due to our dispersed workforce, some of our support processes have changed. The Help Desk is open. However, we cannot answer phone calls live. When calling the Help Desk, please leave a detailed message with a contact number. We will enter a ticket and contact you regarding your request/issue.
There are the preferred methods to enter a Help Desk ticket:
- Send an email to [email protected].
- Log on to the self service portal at www.rider.edu/helpdesk
- Call 609-219-3000 to leave a message and we will enter a ticket and contact you regarding your ticket
All tickets created during business hours will be responded to that business day. Any tickets created after business hours will be responded to the next business day.
If you are experiencing an issue, you can also go to our self-service portal: www.rider.edu/helpdesk. There you can search our knowledgebase to find answers to common questions/issues.
Please note that when you are reporting an issue, provide as many details as you can and include a phone number so that we may contact you. For example, if you are seeing an error message, please provide a screenshot. If you cannot navigate to a webpage, provide the URL so that we may test.
Experiencing WiFi connection issues?
Before contacting the Help Desk, there are a few things you can do.
- Make sure the Operating System is up to date
- Reboot the computer
- Make sure you are connecting to the “nowires” network
- Check the network properties to see if you are on 2.4 or 5G. 5G is preferred
- Forget the network and try re-adding it. Should be on the “nowires” not “RUGuest”
- If you have a wireless Access Point in your room, make sure it is not blocked by furniture, pillows, etc
If you have tried these suggestions and are still not able to connect, please contact the Help Desk and provide the following information:
- Provide a contact number so that we can coordinate support.
- What device(s) are you using?
- When did the connection issue start?
- Do other people/devices in your area have the same problem?
- What building and room are you in when this happens?
- What time of day does the connection issue occur?
- Send a screenshot of a speed test: https://speedtest.xfinity.com
- Provide a MAC address for the device.
Wired network connection
If you are experiencing an issue with wifi on campus, you can use an Ethernet Cable to connect for a more stable connection. Please click here for additional information.
If your computer will not accept an Ethernet cable connection, OIT has a limited supply of loaner dongles that can be used to connect your device. OIT has partnered with the SGA to purchase Ethernet cables. Both are available at the Info Desk in the BLC. Please bring your Bronc ID. Cables and dongles are available on a first come, first serve basis.