New Student Orientation is an exciting, informative program for all new students and their family members.
Students, you will have the opportunity to meet and get to know your classmates, learn about the campus and available resources, meet with faculty and administrators and receive your course schedules. Family members, we also have an orientation designed specifically for you with information on how you can support your student along with some of the "nuts and bolts" that you're interested to know.
Apply Today to Become an Orientation Leader!
The Orientation Staff is a team of undergraduate student leaders who assist in the organization and programming of Placement Testing, Summer Orientation, Fall Opening, and January Orientation. The position is full-time during the summer and the week prior to January Orientation. Specific duties include:
- Represent Rider University to incoming first year students, transfer students, and their families
- Participate in staff training and development
- Work with faculty, staff, and others in coordinating and leading program sessions
- Answer questions asked by students or family members or direct them to appropriate resources and offices
- Perform office work including filing, mailings, and spreadsheet management
- Work as a team on duties both in preparation for and during Orientation sessions
- Act as a liaison to Rider University offices
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills
- Teamwork skills and experience
- Knowledge about Rider University
- Willingness to help people
- Enthusiasm & a sense of humor
- Ability to handle unexpected situations
- Active participation on campus
- General computer knowledge
- Comfort with speaking and presenting for large groups
Download Application Today!
- Attend an Info Session: Wednesday, January 28 at 6 p.m. (BLC 257), Thursday, January 29 at 6 p.m.(Fireside Lounge), Monday, February 2 at 11:30 a.m. (BLC 257), or Tuesday, February 3 at 11:30 a.m. (Fireside Lounge)
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or BLC 237 by February 19 at noon.
- Submit two written references by February 19 at noon (May be dropped off with application, interoffice mailed or emailed directly from reference provider)
- Candidates who are selected for the group interview will be notified on February 19 by 6 p.m. with details regarding meeting location.
- Group Interviews will be held on Friday, February 20 from 5 - 7:30pm
- Individual Interviews will be held February 24- February 27, by appointment
- Wednesday, February 19 - Applications due at noon
- Friday, February 20, 5 - 7:30pm - Group Interview
- Friday - Sunday, March 6-8 - NODA Regional Conference
- Tuesday, May 26, 2014 - First full day of work!
- Salary of $3500
- Housing and meals during the summer
- Orientation Leader Uniform
- Professional Development opportunities
Summer 2015 Orientation Dates
Transfer Student Orientation Dates
June 30, 2015
August 25, 2015
Freshmen Orientation Dates
July 8-9, 2015
July 12-13, 2015
July 15-16, 2015
July 19-20, 2015
July 22-23, 2015
Frequently Asked Questions
When and how long are orientation sessions?
All freshmen will attend a two-day program during the summer. Check in on the first day begins at 1:30 p.m. and the program begins promptly at 2:30 p.m. Parents and family members check in at the same time as their students. Day 1 programming for parents and family members ends with a reception at Dean Campbell's house, which starts at 8:15 p.m. Day 2 of orientation begins at 8 a.m. and ends by 1:30 p.m.
Transfer students will be assigned to a one-day orientation program on either Thursday, June 27 or Tuesday, August 27. Check in begins at 8:30 a.m. and programming ends by 1:30 p.m.
What if I need to change my orientation session date?
You are strongly encouraged to attend the session to which you are assigned - this will allow you to complete your course selection with an advisor from your department. If it is necessary for you to change your date, please call the Orientation Office at 609-896-5373.
Incoming freshmen are invited to stay overnight in the residence halls during Orientation. We have made special accommodations with local hotels for family members who are attending orientation to stay overnight at a discounted rate.
Are you a Westminster Choir College Student?
Visit the Princeton campus Orientation information section that is specific to Princeton campus students.