New Student Orientation
Apply Today to Become an Orientation Leader!
Orientation Leaders are undergraduate student leaders who assist in the organization and execution of Placement Testing, Summer Orientation, Fall Opening, and January Orientation. The position is full-time during the summer and the week prior to January Orientation. Specific duties include:
- Represent Rider University to incoming first year students, transfer students, and their families
- Participate in staff training and development
- Work with faculty, staff, and others in coordinating and leading program sessions
- Answer questions asked by students or family members or direct them to appropriate resources and offices
- Perform office work including filing, mailings, and spreadsheet management
- Work as a team on duties both in preparation for and during Orientation sessions
- Act as a liaison to Rider University offices
- Attend an Info Session: Location: BLC 257 Wednesday, January 27 at 6 p.m., Thursday, January 28 at 11:30 a.m., Monday, February 1 at 6 p.m., Tuesday, February 2 at 11:30 a.m., or Thursday, February 4 at 6 p.m.
- Submit your application online by February 17 at noon. (Link to application above)
- Submit two written references by February 17 at noon. (Link to reference form above)
- Candidates who are selected for the group interview will be notified on February 18 by 5 p.m. with details regarding meeting location.
- Group Interviews will be held on Friday, February 19 from 5 - 7:30pm
- Individual Interviews will be held February 23- February 26, by appointment
- Wednesday, February 17: Applications due by noon
- Friday, February 19, 5 - 7:30pm: Group Interview
- Friday - Sunday, March 11-13: NODA Regional Conference (Williamsburg, VA)
- Tuesday, May 24, 2016: First full day of work!
- Salary of $3500
- Housing and meals during the summer
- Orientation Leader Uniform
- Professional Development opportunities
Spring 2016 Orientation
Orientation for incoming Spring 2016 students will be held January 21-22, 2016.
Orientation is an opportunity for new students and their family members to connect with faculty and administrators, learn about campus resources, and meet other new students. During Orientation, students will also have the opportunity to take placement exams and will receive their course schedules.
Every incoming student will be mailed a letter containing orientation and placement testing information in December. Students should contact their academic deans to develop a spring schedule prior to attending orientation. Your academic dean’s office will let you know if you are required to take any placement tests.
Thursday, January 21
- 1 p.m. - Check in for the Math Placement Test (if needed) - Bart Luedeke Center Lobby
- 2 p.m. - Check in for the Writing Placement Test (if needed) - Bart Luedeke Center Lobby
- 2-5 p.m. - Check in for Resident students not required to take Placement Tests - Check in at your Residence Hall
- 6 p.m. - New Student Dinner (for any Spring 2016 students who have checked into their Residence Hall) - Fireside Lounge, BLC
Register for the New Student Dinner online now!
Friday, January 22
- 8:30 a.m. - Orientation Check in for ALL incoming Spring 2016 Students (continental breakfast provided) - Bart Luedeke Center Lobby
*Registration for orientation will be available in November*
- 9 a.m. - Orientation program begins - Bart Luedeke Center Theater
- 12:30 p.m. - Orientation programs concludes with lunch and meetings with academic coordinators if needed - Cavalla Room, BLC
Fall 2016 Orientation Dates
Students will be assigned to summer orientation dates beginning in April.
Freshman Orientation Dates
- July 6-7, 2016
- July 10-11, 2016
- July 13-14, 2016
- July 17-18, 2016
- July 20-21, 2016
Transfer Student Orientation Dates
- June 28, 2016
- August 30, 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
When and how long are orientation sessions?
All freshmen will attend a two-day program during the summer. Check in on the first day begins at 1:30 p.m. and the program begins promptly at 2:30 p.m. Parents and family members check in at the same time as their students. Day 1 programming for parents and family members ends with a reception at Dean Campbell's house, which starts at 8:15 p.m. Day 2 of orientation begins at 8 a.m. and ends by 1:30 p.m.
Transfer students will be assigned to a one-day orientation program on either Thursday, June 27 or Tuesday, August 27. Check in begins at 8:30 a.m. and programming ends by 1:30 p.m.
What if I need to change my orientation session date?
You are strongly encouraged to attend the session to which you are assigned - this will allow you to complete your course selection with an advisor from your department. If it is necessary for you to change your date, please call the Orientation Office at 609-896-5373.
Incoming freshmen are invited to stay overnight in the residence halls during Orientation. We have made special accommodations with local hotels for family members who are attending orientation to stay overnight at a discounted rate.
Are you a Westminster Choir College Student?
Visit the Princeton campus Orientation information section that is specific to Princeton campus students.