Summer 2014 Flextime & Dress-Down Policy
Time Period -- Rider's regular flextime policy will commence on Monday, May 20th, and run through Friday, August 9th, 2013. This schedule will be applicable to both the Lawrenceville and Princeton campuses.
Dress-Down -- Members of the campus community will be able to "dress down" every day during the flextime period. While casual attire is appropriate, informal leisure clothing such as T-shirts, tank or halter tops and shorts will not be permitted. Questions on appropriateness will be decided by supervisors and Human Resources.
Please remember that off-campus business commitments or more formal on-campus meetings will require regular business attire.
Summer Flextime -- Flextime is a work concept which divides the day into segments of "core time," when all employees are expected to be at work and "flexible time," usually at the beginning and end of the day, when employees may select their own arrival and departure times. A weekly period of 35 hours must be established. This schedule will include, on Fridays, the hours of closing.
Acceptance of flextime is completely voluntary; employees may choose to remain with a standard summer schedule of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch. In addition, certain departments, such as CCS, Security, and Facilities, will have schedules that vary from hours described below or have particular needs that may, in some instances, be addressed outside this policy.
Procedures -- Following are the procedures for implementing flextime at Rider University. Department heads should meet with staff before the effective dates of this policy to discuss relevant issues including the following:
- The core time is 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. All employees must be in attendance during this period. Flexible hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Time sheets, where applicable, should accurately reflect hours worked.
- A lunch time of at least 30 minutes must be taken each day.
- The base period of the standard work day is 7 hours.
- Hours worked in excess of the weekly base period of 35 hours (after 37.5 hours for maintenance employees) are paid as overtime for all office employees considered non-exempt under FLSA.
- Schedules must be coordinated within working units so that department coverage continues to be provided for the entire business period of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Schedule selection will be made on a month-by-month basis and, except for emergency situations and coverage for absences, these schedules may not be changed.
- Flextime work schedules require supervisory approval.
- In conjunction with supervisory approval, vacation schedules should be in place before flextime begins on May 20th, so that adequate coverage can be maintained.
- Part-time employees are not affected by this policy.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, x5140.