Frequently Asked Questions

Home / Admissions / International Admissions / Frequently Asked Questions
This slideshow is not enabled

Our Location

  1. Where is Rider located?
    Rider University has two campuses, located in central New Jersey, on the east coast of the United States. Rider is about 90 kilometers from New York City, one of the world's most dynamic and diverse metropolitan cities - and 65 kilometers from Philadelphia, one of America's most historically and culturally rich cities. Our location makes it easy to visit other major cities in the United States, such as Boston and Washington, DC.
  2. What is the difference between the Lawrenceville and Princeton campuses?
    Rider's main campus in Lawrenceville is the home to Rider's undergraduate programs in business, education, liberal arts and sciences, as well as the graduate programs in business and education. Rider's Princeton campus is the home to the world-renowned Westminster Choir College. The two campuses are about 15 minutes apart, and students can choose to be involved in activities on both campuses.
  3. How big is the Lawrenceville campus?
    The Lawrenceville campus has 41 buildings on 280 acres, including athletic fields, tennis courts, and an indoor swimming pool. There are a total of 11 residence halls and nine Greek houses for members of fraternities and sororities on campus.
  4. What is the climate like in New Jersey?
    The weather in central New Jersey is variable. Temperatures can drop to -12 to -15 degrees Celsius in the winter, and rise to 32 to 35 degrees Celsius in the summer.

Academic Information

  1. Are you on a semester or quarter system?
    Rider is on a semester system. The Fall semester runs from early September through mid-December. The Spring semester runs from late January to early May. Rider also offers two summer sessions.
  2. Will I have an academic advisor?
    All students are assigned an academic advisor within their field of study. Undecided majors will be assigned a faculty advisor by their college.
  3. What is the average class size at Rider?
    25-30 students. The student-to-faculty ratio is 12:1.
  4. Will I be taught by teaching assistants?
    No, all courses at Rider are taught by faculty members, ninety-six percent of which have their doctorate degree or the terminal degree in their field.
  5. Does Rider offer an ESL program?
    Yes, Rider does offer an ESL program with our partner Kings Education.

About Campus Life

  1. How many students attend Rider?
    Almost 4,000 undergraduate and over 1,000 graduate students attend Rider's main campus. We expect approximately 870 freshman to begin in the Fall 2010 semester.
  2. How many students live on campus?
    Approximately 70% of Rider's students live on campus.
  3. What percentage of international students attend Rider, and where are they from?
    About 4% of Rider's student body is made up of international students. Our international students come from: Anguilla, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, India, Jamaica, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.
  4. Is there housing available?
    Housing at Rider's Lawrenceville campus is guaranteed for the first two years of undergraduate study, provided students deposit by the housing deadline. For new undergraduate students, the housing and tuition deposits must be received by May 1. Returning juniors and seniors may apply for housing using the housing lottery.

    Residence buildings are safe, comfortable, well-equipped and convenient. No matter where you live on campus, you are always just a short walk away from your classrooms, the dining hall, the fitness center, the library, and all of the services and resources Rider provides. If you prefer, off-campus housing is available in the nearby communities of Lawrenceville and Princeton.

    On-campus housing is not typically available for graduate students.

    Visit our Residence Life page for more information about housing.
  5. Will I live with other international students?
    Students have the option of living with domestic or international students. Rider's International Learning Community in Gee Hall is home to approximately 50 students who have opted to live in a globally focused environment with both domestic and international students.
  6. Is Rider a safe place?
    Both the Lawrenceville and Princeton campuses are in very attractive suburban communities with extremely low crime rates. On campus, Rider places high priority on assuring student safety. It has around-the-clock security professionals to patrol University grounds and assist students in any way.
  7. Where will I eat?
    Most of Rider's on-campus students eat in Daly Dining Hall on the Lawrenceville campus. Food is also available on campus at Cranberry's Snack Bar, the Bronc Diner, Java City, Starbucks Cafe, and the C-Store.

    Some upperclassmen reside in on-campus apartments that contain a kitchen. Most residence halls have a lounge with a microwave. All students may have small refrigerators in their residence hall rooms.
  8. Will I have an international student advisor?
    Rider is committed to making international students feel at home. Our international advisor and international student services staff work closely together to make your transition to Rider - both academically and personally - a smooth and enjoyable one. Visit the Center for International Education web page for more information.
  9. Is there an International Student organization on campus? What other clubs and organizations are at Rider?
    Rider has an active International Students Club. This is a student-run organization consisting of Rider students, both international and domestic, who have an interest in interacting with students from other cultures and who choose to join the Club. Members organize social and cultural functions, sports, and other activities.

    Rider offers more than 100 clubs and organizations - ranging from student government, to religious and cultural organizations, to academic organizations, to social and interest organization. Visit the Student Life section for information about our student organizations.
  10. Is there a health center on campus?
    Rider University's Student Health Services supports the health care needs of all full-time residency and commuter students, with clinics on both campuses. A Women's Health Clinic is also available by appointment on the Lawrenceville campus. All international students are required to participate in the University's insurance program at a cost of approximately $770 per year (2009 rates).

Money Matters

  1. What is the annual tuition?
    Click here for current tuition rates.
  2. Do you offer financial aid or scholarships to international students?
    Rider University offers merit scholarships to qualified freshman and transfer students.

    Need-based assistance is not available to international students. U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and qualified non-citizens (e.g. documented refugees and asylees) may apply for aid using the FAFSA form.
  3. Can I work on campus?
    On-campus jobs are available to students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa. Rider's Office of Career Services helps qualified international students find an internship or cooperative education position. These jobs may be paid or unpaid, depending upon the policy of the employer.

    Students should NOT plan to pay for their education with wages earned while working on-campus. Students may work no more than 20 hours per week during the semester.