Requirements for Master of Music in Music Education
This program is designed for students who wish to focus in music education with a concentration in applied music or composition. The degree is for those who hold an undergraduate degree in music education and a teaching certificate.
Master of Music in Music Education (35 semester hours)
|ME692||History and Philosophy of Music Education *1||3|
|ME721||Curriculum Development and Evaluation||3|
|ME723||Psychology for Music Teachers||3|
|ME791||Internship in Music Education *2||3|
Area of Emphasis
|Voice, Organ, or Piano Primary (3 terms)||6 (2 per term)|
|Literature elective in primary field||3|
Composition Group *3
|TH645||Composition Primary (3 terms)||6 (2 per term)|
|MH731||Introduction to Musicology||3|
|Symphonic Choir (2 terms)||2 (1 per term)|
|Theory or Music History elective (1 course)||3|
|Core elective (1 course) *4||3|
- Graduates of the Westminster baccalaureate music education program may petition to substitute another graduate course for ME692. The department, if granting approval, will specify acceptable course alternatives.
- Those who have had significant teaching experience in American schools may petition to substitute another graduate course for ME791. The department, if granting approval, will specify acceptable course alternatives.
- For composition primary students, TH625, Composition Class, may be required if it is felt that class work in composition is needed prior to private study.
- The core elective must be a single, 3-credit graduate-level course outside the student’s major area, area of emphasis, and/or area of applied study.
- Students in this degree program complete a portfolio review at the end of each year of study.
- Following departmental approval, students are required to present a public recital on the primary instrument.