Rider's plan is based on recommendations of the Fall 2020 Planning Task Force, which was formed in May to evaluate and recommend a comprehensive plan to address the myriad of issues and challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic. Approximately 70 administrators, faculty, staff and students serving on working groups are dedicated to five key areas of campus operations: academics, facilities and public health, student experience, legal considerations and finance and enrollment. In short, these plans relied on comprehensive input and feedback from the broader Rider University community.
Though New Jersey is currently in Stage 2 of Gov. Murphy’s “The Road Back” plan for reopening the state, Rider's Resolved and Ready plan was developed based on the assumption the state will move to Stage 3 prior to the start of the fall semester. As the nature of the coronavirus is ever-changing, the plan is an evolving framework of ideas and recommendations that may be adapted as required. Our ultimate goal is to balance our primary concern for the safety of all campus constituents with our mission of providing a vibrant, living, learning on-campus experience for the students we serve.
The details in the plan are subject to change, pending any new guidelines from federal, state or local levels in response to the evolving nature of the pandemic. Moreover, our plans will adhere to recommendations made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Lawrence Township Health Department, and any updated guidelines established by the Office of the Secretary for Higher Education in NJ. These plans have been outlined in accordance with The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) standards that were issued for institutions of higher education as they begin restarting campus operations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As our knowledge and understanding of the COVID-19 virus continues to evolve, all relevant policies and plans will be updated as appropriate as additional information becomes available.
Key considerations that guided Rider’s planning include:
- The University will adhere to all federal, state and local guidelines
- The University will establish a relationship with a healthcare system in the area for consultation purposes with an infectious disease specialist
- A policy for testing, screening and contact tracing will be established and in place prior to a full return to campus
- The University will allow remote work and study to continue, to the extent possible, particularly for those faculty, staff and students with enhanced risk factors
- Sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) will be made available for anyone who requires it; all community members must be expected to adhere to wearing disposable or cloth face coverings, particularly in classrooms, dining areas, exercise facilities and meeting, event and office spaces, as is mandated by these guidelines
- Well-established cleaning and disinfecting plans will be in place
- The University will clearly define social distancing expectations for all campus activities (e.g., classrooms, dining, residency, extracurriculars) and include facilities modifications, where appropriate
- The University will clearly and regularly communicate plans and policies to the entire campus community; this will include creation of a “Resolved and Ready” website for posting all key information and updates
Download and read Rider University's Fall 2020 Restart Plan (PDF) submitted to the NJ Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (NJ OSHE).*
*Please note, this plan may not reflect the most current information regarding Rider’s plan for fall 2020. Information contained within this report may have changed since its submission. Refer to information contained within the Resolved and Ready web site for the most up to date information.
Questions or feedback? Contact us.