Basic Degree Requirements

Each college has its own set of requirements for degree completion. There are three categories of courses that meet the requirements of each college:

  • Core requirements must be fulfilled by all students in the college and consist of general education courses, as well as core courses in the specific discipline.
  • Major requirements are those courses that are specific to the program that you have chosen.
  • Electives are choices that you get to make both within and outside of your college.  

Students should consult the Academic Catalogs for detailed information.

Meeting Degree Requirements

It is every student's responsibility to insure that degree requirements are being met. Students should consult with their advisors at least once per semester to check their record and to find out what requirements remain.

Students need 120 - 126 credits to earn their degree, depending upon the program in which they are enrolled.

Academic Classification

  • Freshman:  0-23
  • Sophomore: 24-53
  • Junior: 54-89
  • Senior: 90 + credits

Academic classification has an impact on the courses that can be taken and on financial aid eligibility. Check with your advisor or financial aid counselor for more information. For more information on financial aid, visit Office of Financial Aid.

Transfer Between Colleges

Students who wish to transfer between colleges at Rider must obtain an Transfer Between Colleges/ Major/ Minor Concentration form from their Dean's Office, obtain all of the proper signatures, and turn the form in to the college that they wish to attend. In order to transfer, a student has to have a minimum GPA of 2.00.

Students must seek help from an advisor or the Dean's Office of the college that they wish to attend before they select courses. This will insure proper selection.

Out of Rider: Students who are leaving Rider must make sure that all obligations have been fulfilled before they exit the University (tuition, board, library, parking fines, etc.). Any pending obligation will prevent the release of your transcript. Students must complete an exit interview with the Dean of Student's Office. Questions about requirements for the school to which you are transferring should be directed to that school.


Students who are nearing graduation should take the following steps:

  1. Check your file with your advisor to insure that the proper courses are being taken prior to the last semester.
  2. Complete a degree application with your Dean's Office so that they are aware of your plans to graduate.
  3. Make sure that all financial obligations have been addressed.

Students will be contacted regarding the ceremony and the issuance of the cap and gown.

Graduation is typically held on a Friday morning and, unless the weather is extreme, the ceremony is held outside.

Graduation Honors

  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.75 - 4.00
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.50 - 3.74
  • Cum Laude: 3.25 - 3.49

Graduate School

Students who choose to continue their studies after they receive their Bachelor degree should begin collecting information about graduate schools. Oftentimes, admission to graduate school is based upon your undergraduate record, as well as your performance on a standardized test (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, etc.). Additionally, graduate programs range from very broad to highly specific. Students should determine which program fills their needs. Graduate information can be found at the Office of Career Services (SC 115) and at the Office of Graduate Services (LIB 137).

Rider offers the following graduate programs and degrees:

  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • Master of Accountancy (MACC)
  • Master of Arts in Counseling Services
  • Master of Arts in Curriculum, Instruction, and Supervision
  • Master of Arts in Educational Administration
  • Master of Arts in Reading/Language Arts
  • Master of Arts in Reading/Language Arts and Teacher Preparation
  • Master of Arts in Human Services Administration
  • Master of Music (Westminster)
  • Master of Music Education (Westminster)

Students must come to the Office of Graduate Services (LIB 137) for an application and information. (If you are interested in the Westminster programs, contact the Princeton campus at 1-800-96-CHOIR).

Dean's Offices

The Dean's Office for each college is the central academic office for the various programs. At the Dean's Offices, you can change a major, get program information, find out who your advisor is, get information about off-campus courses, explore independent studies, and perform any other task or function related to your academic program at Rider.

  • College of Business Administration: SWG 214
  • College of Liberal Arts, Education, and Science: FA 207
  • Undergraduate Education: MEM 111
  • College of Continuing Studies: LIB 137
  • Westminster Choir College: WIL