- DIRECT: Directly placing yourself into a situation to prevent it from escalating further
- DELEGATE: Getting someone to intervene for you who can better handle the situation
- DISTRACT: Diffuse a situation by distracting those involved.
General Safety Tips - Risk Reduction
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Let someone know where you are going. Make sure you have money and a charged cell phone.
- Go places with a group and be sure everyone leaves together.
- Never prop open residence hall doors. Don't allow anyone in the residence hall who you don't know.
- Keep your room doors and windows locked.
- If you engage in sexual activity, listen carefully and be sure to give and receive affirmative consent. You have the right to say NO to any unwanted sexual contact...NO means NO!
- An intoxicated/incapacitated person cannot give consent.