Science Hall 338E
2083 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- 1978 Ph.D., Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- 1973 B.S., Biology, American University, Washington, D.C.,
- 2015-2018 Commissioner, New Jersey State Commission for Cancer Research
- 2011-2012 Visiting Scholar, Institute for Advanced Study
Recent Book and Research Interests
- Star Gazing to Sustainability: Appreciating the Scientific Process. Kendall Hunt, 2013.
The book conveys how scientific thinking has uncovered our story of the universe. It is a jargon-free science story celebrating the beauty and power of scientific thought. Data based decision-making and constructive criticism deserves the utmost respect by our culture and the book underscores the importance of using an interdisciplinary science approach in confronting our sustainability challenges.
- Hear an interview with James Moore, KRUU, FM, Planet Erstwild
- For more information go to kendallhunt.com/Yavelow
- My research interests now include integration of science, social science and humanities to better approach our sustainability challenges. There is also a clear relationship between environmental health and human health. Identifying specific dietary factors that can improve human health has also been a long standing interest
- From the Big Bang to the Origin of Life
- Life Sciences: Cell and Genetic Emphasis
- Cell and Molecular Biology and Lab
- Advanced Cell & Molecular Biology and Lab
- Genetic Engineering and the Philosophy of Science
- Fitzpatrick, E., McBride, S., Yavelow, J., Najmi, S., Zanzucchi, P., Wieder, R. Microfuidic techniques for Single-Cell Protein Expression Analysis. Clinical chemistry, 54:6 1080-1088, 2006.
- Yavelow, J. Rider University Science Advisory Board: A mechanism for successful partnering between the University, Industry and the Community. Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) 27:1, September 2006.
- Yavelow, J., Tuccillo, A.M., Kadner, S.S., Katz, J. and Finlay, T.H.##1-Antitrypsin blocks TGF# release from MCF-7 Human Breast Cancer Cells. J. Clin. Endocrinology and Metabolism, 82:745-752, 1997.
- Nickels, J.T. Jr. , Schepis, L.T. and Yavelow, J., Isolation and characterization of chymotrypsin-like enzymes from transformed fibroblasts. J. Foods Chemistry, 18:1-15, 1994.
- Finlay, T. H., Tamir, S., Kadner, S.S., Cruz, M.R., Yavelow, J., and Levitz, M. #1-Antitrypsin and Anchorage Independent Growth of MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells. Endocrinology, 133: 996-1002, (1993).