Summer Dance Institute
Summer Dance Institute
Registration Closed. Check back for 2019 dates
The Westminster Summer Dance Institute is an introduction to the partnership between Rider University and the Princeton Ballet School. This new program will bring the same respectful and serious approach to dance training to the teen student (interested in a more broad-based experience) as the Princeton Ballet School Summer Intensive delivers each year. Designed for young people ages 15 through 18 who are eager to begin, or deepen their experience, with different forms of dance and introduce them to the richness of the dance world. All of the faculty currently work for both Rider University and PBS and will expose the students to a typical college experience.
Foundation: A strong developing interest in dance is important and some basic study in ballet, modern dance, or jazz would be very useful but not necessary. Enthusiasm for learning a must.
- Work in a master class with Jillian Davis of Complexions Contemporary Ballet
- Daily Bodywork Session:
- Dancers will understand important concepts such as core strength, turnout, and functional alignment which are central to their success in any dance style.
- 3-4 Classes daily, including:
- Ballet: focusing on acquisition of strength, coordination and vocabulary
- CoMBo: Conditioning for Mindbody
- Contemporary Dance: utilizing the concepts learned in ballet class to explore more current choreographic ideas
- Repertory and culminating Informance highlighting the session’s work
- Hip-hop or street jazz
- Sampling of theater dance, tap, samba
Kim Vaccaro, Director
Dr. Kim Chandler Vaccaro is an Associate Professor and director of the Dance program in the department of Theatre and Dance at Westminster College of the Arts, of Rider University. She became a professional dancer and teacher while earning a BA in Choreography and Performance from the University of California at Santa Barbara, a MA in Dance Education from UCLA, and an Ed.D from Temple University. During that time she performed in numerous modern dance companies, choreographed and produced her own work, and taught dance at colleges on both the east and west coasts. Dr. Vaccaro has taught at Princeton Ballet School since 1989, and she has also been an educational consultant to the organization. In addition to speaking at national conferences on dance education, Dr. Kim, as she is known at PBS and on campus, has choreographed over 50 dance pieces for the Ballet School and the Rider Dance Program where she is artistic director of the annual event Rider Dances. Dr. Vaccaro is the author of Jazz Dance Today with Lorraine Person Kriegel; the editor of Dance in My Life; a contributing editor to the award-winning Core Collection in Dance and contributing author to Jazz Dance: Roots and Branches. Her current research is on focus, creativity and mindfulness in dance teaching. She is the creator and author of CoMBo: Conditioning for Mindbody.
$1895 (includes room and board)
- Two or more programs - $100 discount off each program
- Family discount - Families sending more than one student receive a $100 discount per program
Westminster Office of Continuing Education