June 30–July 19
The CoOPERAtive Program is a three week intensive program with private coaching, focusing on operatic style, performance techniques, dramatic presentation, language and diction, body awareness, resumé and application advice. Directed by Westminster voice faculty member emerita Laura Brooks Rice, the CoOPERAtive Program is presented in cooperation and consultation with professionals in the field of opera.
Three Levels of the CoOPERAtive Experience
CoOPERAtive Fellows – graduate students to post-graduate young professionals. Customized schedules are created to suit each singer’s particular needs as they prepare for future auditions and competitions.
CoOPERAtive Young Artists – undergraduate voice majors in their junior or senior year. In addition to coaching and performance of operatic arias, coaching and performance on art song is a major part of the Young Artist experience.
CoOPERAtive Pianist Interns – Pianists interested in exploring the many facets of operatic accompanying and coaching. Three paid intern positions will be filled as well as pianists who wish to register for the program with a reduced tuition. Click here for more information.
All participants will take part in
- Regularly scheduled coaching (Average 26 -27 45 minute coachings for three weeks)
- Operatic repertoire coaching
- Language coaching
- Dramatic coaching
- Body awareness/yoga classes
- Individual body awareness assessments with Alexander Technician
- Audition workshops
- At least six public concerts
- Opportunity to sing in masterclasses
Each week master teachers present classes and private sessions. In addition, singers have the opportunity for weekly, private sessions with: stage directors, conductors, language coaches, and Alexander Technicians (yoga classes).
The following are available for an additional fee
- Optional voice lessons with listed faculty
- Professional Photo Shoot for publicity photos with photographer Paul Sirochman. Included with service will be a hair and make-up stylist, digital photos. Photographer and CoOPERAtive staff will review pictures and assist you in your choices. Paul is based in Philadelphia and specializes in headshots for actors, models, singers and performers. 215-629-1119
A typical day in the CoOPERAtive Program:
10am - Yoga/body awareness
11am - Language coaching
12pm - Lunch
1pm - Dramatic coaching
2pm - Operatic repertoire coaching
3pm - Free time
4pm - Private yoga session
5pm - Rehearsal with accompanist
"We always take notice of an applicant with CoOPERAtive on their resume - it's a sign not only of talent but also that they have worked with some of the best in the business and they always have something to say as artists"
Former Director at Houston Grand Opera
"Knowing many of the teachers who work for the CoOPERAtive, I know that the participants will be getting information from some of the best trainers in the business. This isn't a recreational program...this is the real deal, where students will work hard and grow toward their goal, under the guidance of professionals who care."
San Francisco Opera Merola Program