Curriculum and Schedule
Rider University's MBA Program requires a core of 27 credit hours of Breadth (Advanced) Course Requirements and 6 credit hours of Elective Courses. Students may also be required to take up to an additional 19.5 credit hours based on their academic record and course waivers. A student must complete between 33 and 52.5 credit hours for an MBA, depending on the number of pre-program courses waived.
Electives may be used to concentrate in the areas of business analytics, finance, forensic accounting, or global business to enrich to MBA. Concentrations, which are an optional part of the MBA degree and require 3 electives (one more than the general MBA requires), may be completed by choosing specific electives that are primarily offered on Rider's Lawrenceville Campus or online.
Pre-Program Requirements - Courses
|Course No.||Course Title||Credit|
|PMBA 8000||Executive Communications||1.5|
|PMBA 8010||Information Technology Proficiency||1.5|
|PMBA 8020||Fundamentals of Accounting||3|
|PMBA 8030||Economic Analysis||3|
|PMBA 8040||Basic Financial Principles||1.5|
|PMBA 8050||Introduction to Calculus||1.5|
|PMBA 8051||Fundamentals of Statistical Analysis||3|
|PMBA 8052||Models and Methods of Operations Management||1.5|
|PMBA 8060||Basic Marketing Principles||1.5|
|PMBA 8070||Management Theory and Application||1.5|
Breadth (Advanced) Course Requirements
|Course No.||Course Title||Credit|
|PMBA 8210||Information Technology Management||3|
|PMBA 8220||Strategic Accounting for Managers||3|
|PMBA 8230||Managerial Economics||3|
|PMBA 8240||Applied Corporate Finance||3|
|PMBA 8250||Operations and Supply Chain Management||3|
|PMBA 8260||Marketing Analysis and Decision Making||3|
|PMBA 8270||Organizational Behavior||3|
|PMBA 8290||Legal and Ethical Aspects of Management||3|
|PMBA 8880||Strategic Management||3|
(6 semester hours)
Students are required to complete 6 credit hours of electives to complete the program requirements.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) — Waiver of Courses
A waiver of a course from pre-program requirements may be granted under the following conditions:
- The pre-program courses may be waived if the student has graduated from an AACSB-accredited business program within five years prior to semester admitted, and the student has achieved a “B” or better in the equivalent course or sequence of courses.
- One or more pre-program courses may be waived if the student has achieved a “B” or better in an equivalent undergraduate course (at an accredited four-year institution) or an equivalent graduate course within six years prior to the semester admitted.
- One or more pre-program courses may be waived based on a combination of previous education and work experience at the discretion of the Associate Dean of Graduate Programs.
- With the approval of the Associate Dean of Graduate Programs, students may take proficiency exams to test out of the pre-program requirement courses if the above criteria are not met. A grade of “B” or better is required on proficiency exams. Within the first year of matriculation, a student is able to take any of the proficiency exams in the subject areas on the specified exam dates. Students may not repeat any proficiency exams.
If a student is granted a waiver for any pre-program requirements, the student is responsible for a satisfactory level of competency with the representative material. If necessary, the student should review and/or seek tutoring support for the waived material in preparation of advanced courses. Any appeal of a waiver decision based on previous course work must be made to the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs within the first semester of the program.
It is possible for students to substitute an elective for an MBA Breadth Course in the following situations, so as not to duplicate course work that may have been done as an undergraduate:
- Students with an undergraduate degree in Marketing who graduated in the last five years with at least a 3.0 in their marketing courses will not need to take PMBA 8260 Marketing Analysis and Decision Making. In its place, students must take an elective from the MBA program.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in Accounting who graduated in the last five years with at least a 3.0 in their accounting courses will not need to take PMBA 8220 Strategic Accounting for Managers. In its place, students must take an elective from the MBA program.
- Students who graduated in the last five years with an undergraduate degree in Information Systems/Technology, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering with at least a 3.0 GPA in their major area courses and have at least 5 years professional experience in IS/IT and strategy, OR for students with a graduate degree in Information Systems/Technology, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering and over 5 years professional experience in IS/IT and strategy with not need to take PMBA 8210 Information Technology Management. In its place, students must take an elective from either the MBA or MAcc program.
For more information about or academic advising for the MBA Program please contact: