M.A. in Athletic Leadership
Whether you are a current and aspiring coach or athletic administrator, Rider University’s new M.A. in Athletic Leadership offers you the credentials and training needed to advance in your chosen career. Meet the challenges of today — and tomorrow — with a graduate degree focused on such practical issues as leadership, policies and governance, ethics and coaching development. The program offers access to Rider’s extensive D-I program in 20 men’s and women’s sports, as well as the University’s diverse academic expertise in the subject, including business, communication and psychology.
- Relevant studies focused on addressing the real-life challenges faced by coaches and administrators
- Meaningful, hands-on internships
- Opportunities to shadow NCAA Division I professionals
- Added expertise of regional coaches and administrators at all playing levels
What You’ll Gain
- Effective leadership skills in coaching and athletic administration
- A knowledge of sports psychology and the tools needed to enhance team performance and motivation
- Strategies and protocols to resolve safety issues
- Training in concussion protocols, CPR and basic first aid
- Ability to think critically and creatively problem solve
- Skills needed to be an effective communicator
- Knowledge of appropriate athletic conditioning techniques and how to create and evaluate them for use at various levels
- An understanding of ethical and legal issues within athletics at the junior high, high school and collegiate levels
Call Us: 609-896-5036
About the Program
Rider’s Master of Arts in Athletic Leadership is a 36-credit graduate program. Candidates can hold an undergraduate degree in any field of study. Class times are designed around the busy schedules of working coaches, administrators and athletes. Lessons learned in the classroom can immediately be applied on the job.
Students are required to successfully complete 10 courses designed specifically for this degree, plus two 3-credit internships in either coaching or administration— a hallmark of the program.
The following courses comprise the curriculum for the M.A. in Athletic Leadership;
- Current Issues in Sport Psychology
- Evidence-Based Research and Athletics
- Current Issues in Athletics
- Internship I: Athletic Coaching/Administration
- Internship II: Athletic Coaching/Administration
Choose seven courses from the list below that best serve your personal and professional interests:
- Strength, Speed and Conditioning
- Fundamentals of Athletic Training and Wellness
- Athletic Media and Communication
- Athletic Facilities Management and Planning
- Athletic Governance and Policy
- Athletics and Risk Management and Wellness
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Athletics
- Athletic Coaching
Special Fast-Track Opportunities
Receive up to 6 hours credit for your prior professional experience as a full-time coach or athletic administrator.
With careful planning, you can earn your MA in Athletic leadership in just one additional year — saving time and money on your graduate degree! Qualified rising seniors can earn up to 15 credit hours toward the master’s program by taking four graduate level courses as part of their undergraduate requirements.
How to Apply
All must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in any discipline from an accredited college or university.
Graduate test scores (GRE, GMAT) are not required for admission to this program.
- Complete Rider’s Application for Graduate Study
- Submit a $50 non-refundable application fee. Payments can be made online by credit card; checks should be made payable to Rider University and include the applicant’s name and phone number.
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from every college or university attended