DramaTECH Theatre Design Institute
DramaTECH Theatre Design Institute
July 19 - August 2, 2020
UPDATE: Based on ongoing state and federal recommendations to reduce the spread of coronavirus, Rider University announced that all Summer courses would move to remote or alternative instruction. Due to the on-campus resources, equipment, and/or minimum software requirements for this program, we are unable to offer this course remotely. We very much hope to see you next year.
Rider University’s Pre-College DramaTECH Theatre Design Institute provides High School students a well-rounded introduction in all aspects of backstage work, including technical aspects, stage management and theatre design. Students receive professional theatre training by working with and learning from Rider’s professional and distinguished faculty and award-winning guest artists. Directed by Robin Shane, Rider’s Resident Costume Designer and Assistant Professor of Theatre in Westminster College of the Arts of Rider University.
- Study of principles of Scenic Design: Understand the design process; from research, decor, styles, and materials, to expressing ideas visually, and construction techniques with hands-on work in Rider’s state-of-the-art Scene Shop.
- Introduction to the theory and practice of Stage Lighting: Consider the nature of light, the physics of light, color theory, electricity, electrical safety, and learn how to use lighting instruments and light board in the execution of a theatrical lighting design
- Develop skills in costume design and costuming techniques: Research on historical periods, rendering of sketches and learn basic construction techniques, explore the use of different fabrics and materials, discuss common challenges in costume design, and help execute a costume design
- Stage Management and Crew of 2 mainstage productions: a Musical Theatre Showcase Revue and a semi-staged version of a Broadway show
- Master class with special guest artist: Past guests include: Ali Ewoldt, Christine in The Phantom of the Opera, Tony Award Winner, Alice Ripley; Aladdin Star, Adam Jacobs among others
- Travel to New York City to see award-winning Broadway show
- Explore Rider University’s B.A. in Theatre with a Technical Theatre Concentration and discuss career opportunities in the field
- Preview college living and prepare for undergraduate life. Stay in a college dorm and participate in campus activities.
Faculty and Instructors
Robin Shane – Program Director, Costume Designer
Buck Linton - Technical Director/Scenic Designer
Todd Loyd - Lighting Director
Trent Blanton - Musical Theatre Institute Director
- Classes in:
- Scenic design and construction
- Lighting design and rigging
- Audio Engineering and sound design
- Costume Design and construction
- Props pulling and construction
- Stage Makeup
- Attendance and Participation at Staging Rehearsals
- Participation in all Tech rehearsals and Dress rehearsals
- Final Performance
(includes room and board)
$1895 • FOR ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Rider University's pre-college enrichment programs are structured to introduce students to a full college campus experience. From rigorous coursework, access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to on-campus housing and activities, students will explore college life at Rider University. Enrichment programs are non-credit bearing, however regular attendance and completed assignments are expected. Students are evaluated by the same academic standards and procedures as Rider University undergraduates.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
The College of Continuing Studies
Bart Luedeke Center -Suite 31