Dance and Movement Institute
Dance and Movement Institute
July 5 - 18, 2020
The Pre-College Summer Dance and Movement Institute is an introduction to the Rider University Dance Program, in partnership with the Princeton Ballet School (PBS). This program brings a respectful and serious approach for dancers who are eager to deepen their experience with different forms of dance and the richness of the dance world. Faculty from Rider University and PBS and will introduce students to the rigor of a collegiate dance program, ranging from dance performance to technical theatre to dance science and more. Students explore campus life at Rider University, from rigorous coursework, access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to on-campus housing and activities.
The Rider Dance Program Curriculum is aligned with the National Registry of Dance Educators, and the NJ Department of Education criteria for State Certification.
- 3-4 Classes daily, including:
- Daily Somatics/ Bodywork Session: Dancers will understand important concepts such as core strength, turnout, and functional alignment which are central to their success in any dance style.
- Ballet: focusing on acquisition of strength, coordination and vocabulary
- Contemporary Dance: utilizing the concepts learned in ballet class to explore more current choreographic ideas
- Hip Hop/ Street Dance
- World Dance forms
- Repertory and culminating Informance highlighting the session’s work
- Special Guests and Video Conferences from notable alumni and professionals in the industry, including Pablo Plantino, master teacher, and Penny Saunders, internationally renowned choreographer
- Travel to Philadelphia to attend premiere performances at Ballet X, including a Penny Saunders premiere
- Explore Rider University’s Bachelor’s degree programs in Dance and discuss career opportunities such as Dance education, Studio Ownership, and more
- Preview college living and prepare for undergraduate life. Stay in a college dorm and participate in campus activities.
Read how Dr. Kimberly Chandler Vaccaro uses dance education to teach creativity
Ballet • Cheryl Whitney, Co-Director
ComBo/Somatics • Kim Vaccaro, Co-Director
Hip-Hop • John “Comix” Barrella
Contemporary Dance • Jennifer Gladney
Odissi • Merli V. Guerra
(includes room and board)
$1895 • FOR ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Rider University's pre-college enrichment programs are structured to introduce students to a full college campus experience. From rigorous coursework, access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to on-campus housing and activities, students will explore college life at Rider University. Enrichment programs are non-credit bearing, however regular attendance and completed assignments are expected. Students are evaluated by the same academic standards and procedures as Rider University undergraduates.
- A strong interest in dance is important. Basic study in ballet, modern dance, or jazz would be very useful. Enthusiasm for learning a must.
- Enrollment is open to rising high school juniors to incoming college freshmen.
- Space is limited; applicants are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- This is a pre-college residential program on Rider University’s Lawrenceville campus and students must participate in both weeks.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
The College of Continuing Studies
Bart Luedeke Center -Suite 31