Milestone Scholars Program
Welcome to the Milestone Scholars Program
The Milestones Scholars Program offers students who show signs of great potential an opportunity to benefit from an individualized educational experience during their first year at Rider. MSP is a unique academic program offered through the Academic Success Center that provides motivated students with the assistance and guidance needed to achieve milestones. What are milestones? They are the goals you set and achieve: earning your first A in college; choosing a major; becoming an engaged student leader; obtaining an internship; and of course, graduating in four-years!
Bridge to Success
The first year of college can be challenging. However, as a Milestone Scholar you will be prepared to overcome those challenges through Bridge to Success, a five-day program offering students both academic exposure and social immersion. Bridge to Success affords Scholars the opportunity to sample college life for a week and create a web of support by developing relationships with faculty, staff, and peers.
During Bridge to Success, Scholars:
- form relationships with the staff of the Milestone Scholar Program, faculty, and Rider students
- prepare for the academic rigor of freshman level coursework through
- academic workshops facilitated by Rider faculty
- drafting and submitting a paper in response to workshop topics
- utilizing academic support provided by the Academic Success Center in the completion of their final assignment
- explore the campus and engage with the Rider community
- meet with success coaches and peer mentors
- discover options for involvement in clubs and campus activities
- participate in social activities each evening
The program begins Sunday, August 26 and concludes on Friday, August 31, 2018. Whether you plan to live on campus or commute in the fall, you will live on campus for the duration of Bridge Week. Remember, if you were accepted to Rider through the Milestone Scholars Program, your attendance at the Bridge to Success week is a requirement of your enrollment.
As the Bridge to Success week concludes, you will have accomplished your first milestone, and you will feel well prepared to begin the fall semester!
The Academic Year
You will seamlessly transition into the fall semester guided by our FIRST Step Promises which are:
- Foundation: to make Scholars aware of and have access to all academic resources available at Rider University.
- Involvement: to expose Scholars to the opportunities available to become engaged students outside of the classroom.
- Relationships: to encourage Scholars to connect with peers, faculty, and staff members who will support them during their educational journey.
- Support: to guide Scholars toward programs designed to help them develop holistically.
- Targets: to provide Scholars with the resources needed to construct an academic and co-curricular transcript that increases employment potential as Rider graduates.
During the academic year, Scholars:
- enroll in a Freshmen Seminar specifically designed for students in the Milestone Scholars Program
- benefit from proactive utilization of academic supports:
- Writing Consultation
- Supplemental Instruction
- Study Strategy
- create Milestone Achievement Plans, academic and co-curricular MAPS that will guide you through your Rider journey
- meet regularly with Success Coaches to monitor academic progress
- develop relationships with faculty, staff, and peer mentors attend programs and workshops that foster student success