The Music Theater minor is open to all undergraduates by audition *1. Students accepted into the program must declare the minor by completing a form available in the Assistant Registrar’s Office.
Music Theater Minor (21 semester hours)
|Required Courses ||14|
|Acting I |
|MTR120||History of the American Music Theater ||3|
|MTR109 ||Ballet l ||1|
| ||One additional dance course: Ballet, Tap, or Jazz ||1|
|VC103||Voice Secondary (2 terms, 1 credit each) *2||2|
| ||Music Theory *3||4|
A minimum of 7 credits must be chosen from the following courses
|MTR216||Acting for the MT Major I||3|
|MTR251||Genres and Styles I||3|
|MTR252||Genres and Styles II||3|
|MTR253||Genres and Styles III||3|
|MTR335||Speech for the Actor||3|
|MTR493||Music Theater Production||2|
|MTR493T||Music Theater Production (tech)||1|
|MTR511||Music Theater Ensemble *4||1|
|THE210||Musical Theater Production||3|
|THE217||Principles of Stage Design||3|
|THE410||Advanced Performance Workshop||3|
- Enrollment in the Minor is limited to no more than 12 students during any academic year. Students may not audition for the Music Theater minor until they have earned a minimum of 12 credits at Rider University. The audition for the Minor will require:
• 32-bar cut of an up-tempo song from the music theater repertoire
• 32-bar cut of a ballad from the music theater repertoire
• 1 minute monologue (from a full-length play)
- Students in majors requiring voice primary study will substitute two semesters of Voice Primary for VC 103. Other students may request permission to substitute two semesters of elective private voice study for VC103. An additional fee is required for elective private voice study.
- Princeton campus students must complete TH 141: Musicianship I. Lawrenceville campus students must complete MUS 110: Music Theory I and MUS 110L: Music Theory I Lab.
- Acceptance into MTR511 is by audition.
- Some elective courses have prerequisites. Please see catalog course descriptions for details.
- Some courses will be offered only on the Lawrenceville campus.